What is this growing on my heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yarny1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi...I hope I've chosen the right forum thread. I'm new here and I have a problem.

I set up an 8.5 gallon hex tank in mid-March. I was still cycling when everything went into lock down here in Ontario, Canada. No way to get fish to put into the tank. So, I've kept the tank running, adding aquarium ammonia as needed to keep the cycle going. I test every other day for ammonia and nitrites and nitrates. Ammonia keeps going down, but nitrites don't. I was recommended not to do water changes so as not to disrupt the fishless cycle.

About two weeks ago I noticed a little black/grey film on the heater. It began to cover the entire heater and one small ceramic barrel decoration on the bottom, quite a ways away from the heater. At first it was a thin film, hard to see.

I've been researching and phoning our local aquarium store. It seemed like the like culprit was black beard algae. I did a 30% water change and treated the tank with Flourish Excel and kept the lights off. It was recommended not to try and remove the algae until it was dead so as not to spread it more.

It has now been 5 days since I started treatment. The growth does not look like algae but more like a mold or fungus. The Flourish Excel seems to have made it grow faster! The heater is encased in a filmy, billowing grey film that goes up the cord to the water's surface.

What is it? And what should I do about? There are no animals in the tank so I do have lots of options without risking the fish! The same thing happened last year to a 3 gallon, filtered and heated beta tank I had. I kept cleaning it out but it kept growing back. I assumed that was a mold combined with my inexperience, but this is a totally new set up and I've tried to be diligent in setting up the tank and it's happened again! Help!!!!

Attachments

• 20200509_182649_resized.jpg
    20200509_182649_resized.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20200509_182710_resized.jpg
    20200509_182710_resized.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 20200509_182718_resized.jpg
    20200509_182718_resized.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
I don't think it's black beard algae. There is no structure to no, no hairs or filaments. Just slime.

Biofilm on steroids was just what I was thinking.

If it's definitely slimy its NOT BBA *probably* biofilm which you *can* rinse it off but thats no guarantee it won't reoccur. Usually fish or shrimp will clean it off but unless you can find a store with curbside pick up you may have to do it yourself. It does go away on its own eventually in a populated tank.but I dont know about an *empty* tank

Yah. Upon 2nd look it's probably that slimy stuff. Unusually pops up on new dw and such. Can you remove the heater and scrub it under some warm water? Should clean right up.

Thanks friends. I cleaned out what I could and then found a store willing to do curbside pick up for some shrimp and a snail. We'll see how it goes!

I think so...the shrimp and snail are eating it so we'll see if they can clean up the remainder from the tank!

Back
Top Bottom