What is this in my tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon K.A

Aquarium Advice Freak
Are these worms or are they baby snails?? I just found them today, wondering what they are. I just put in a new plant 4 to 5 days ago.. I did a pwc and scrubbed the walls but they came back...:banghead:

img_1494691_0_53b33afe141b94a7e536ba646e8a6674.jpg

I think they are planaria. A sign of overfeeding.
Someone else just posted asking about this.
Its called "worms on glass!!!! Emergency!!!!"
In FW general discussion. See if its the same. If it is then it'll have all the answers for you.
Hope you find it:) id give you the link but i'm on my phone.

Thanks for the mention of that thread! Seems like they are the same, but mine are half the size as the other guys. Should I remove my decor and do a gravel clean and another pwc? It's hard to clean all the gravel with the decor. Or should I not feed my fish for a bit?

anyone else have any idea? What can be done to kill/remove them? There are literally at least a 100 of them.

I read the entire thread and so maybe I should just wait it out and not feed my fish? Or do I QT my fish and clean out the entire tank?

If you Google how to get rid of Planaria you'll find out you can use a dog dewormer or buy No Planaria.

Gravel Vac w PWC is good. Less food also.

Meds safe for fish n shrimp but may kill pet snails. If you have Nerites, move them and do large water change before putting them back.

DO NOT break down your tank !!! You'd lose all your good bacteria.

Just gravel vac and pwc. And then feed less. Only as much as your fish eat. Not dumping a bunch in at once. Id do a little at a time so you can make sure none to little goes to the bottom. And a gravel vac will get up the ones in the gravel.
They will not harm your fish. If you feed less they should eventually go away

Ok just did that! Thanks!! I remove a big fake tree in my aquarium that made it hard to clean, so now I have better access to cleaning. I also added a couple of drops of Aquaria sol. I did about another 25-30% water change and gravel vac again. Still got worms on the glass... Maybe I should try scrubbing them??

Brandonaki360 said:
Ok just did that! Thanks!! I remove a big fake tree in my aquarium that made it hard to clean, so now I have better access to cleaning. I also added a couple of drops of Aquaria sol. I did about another 25-30% water change and gravel vac again. Still got worms on the glass... Maybe I should try scrubbing them??

WHY are you adding random medication ??? " Aquarisol : Preventative and treatment for Ich, body fungus, and velvet. Can be used as a net dip and is safe for plants. Freshwater use only. 4 oz. treats 2,000 gallons.". No where does it say it kills Planaria.

If you want to kill them with meds use No Planaria (name of med) or use Dewormer (Fenbendazole) like I said. You can Google for exact dosage. The dewormer is 0.1 grams per 10gal. 1/10th of a one gram package.

Or just do PWCs and gravel vac as we said. But don't over clean. I do a section at a time.

When you feed your fish. Get a "pinch", put it in your hand, now take a smaller pinch. Feed that amount. If they gobble it too fast then you can offer another mini pinch, IF no food hit the floor. If food got to the bottom, dinnertime over.

ok, you got a point there. Just wanted to try it as my mom said the guy at the fish store gave it to her. I cannot find No planaria anywhere. I don't understand how cleaning the gravel can kill them if they stay on my glass 24/7. Also, are these for sure even planaria? Compared to my picture and googling planaria, they look almost nothing alike.

fenbendazole is what I will now try. Anything I need to do to be sure my Dwarf puffer and ottos are safe?

they might be tiny snails...If you have NEW plants..thats how I got them ..and like that they started TINY and ate algae off the glass all day long pretty soon I had tons of snails everywhere..I had to take the fish out and kill them..If you got your plants at the LFS look and see if they have snails in the tank there...Most LFS plants do ..or mine do..they act as if they cant understand WHY I wouldnt want a tank and filter full of snails too..
If they are snails they'll start to devlop little jell like shells over the next little bit...

I decided to cancel the medications and stick with water changes and gravel vacs. I just did a 50 percent change. If they are snails I would be happy, so my fresh water dwarf puffer can eat them.

Nothing I had would eat them...They spread FAST...if you have some algae on the sides of the tank..They do clean the tank up some..I hear Gourami's will eat the eggs..Not sure though..I didnt have the Gouramis back then...
I know SilverDollars dont do anything with them though..

After I did the 50 percent water change today, I noticed less of those wall dwellers. Then later on in the day, some came back.... I still don't know for sure what they are. They don't look like baby snails because they have no shell, and they move like a worm might. Also, they don't look much like panaria although they are very small so it is hard to tell. I did notice one brown worm swimming in my tank though.. It is so annoying seeing these **** worm like tihngs in my tank. I am so wishing I could tear down this tank but its all set up and established. As well as planted. These parasite things are so frustrating. :banghead:

What about assassin snails? Would they eat those?

I had a major snail invasion not to long ago when I thought it would be a cool idea to put 2 pond snails in my tank. :/ omg! Literally hundreds popped up in a few months. I got so mad at all those dumb snails that I decided to throw away all my gravel and replace it. I completely scrubbed my decoration, my tank, and my fake plant. I flushed every snail I found down the drain or toilet. Haven't seen any snails now! >:) but I only have a 5 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom