What is this on my driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nemokeeper

Aquarium Advice Regular
New to this hobby and have had our 20g tank running for almost 3 weeks. Today I notice this white waxing stuff on the african driftwood and some white egg like substance on the wood. Any ideas what this could be? I noticed the angel fish eating something off the wood so I took a closer look. I have included a photo of the wood.

This is likely fungus. Often when the driftwood is boiled prior to use in the tank, the beneficial bacteria that keep fungus in check are destroyed, allowing this to happen. From what I understand, the particular fungus that grows on driftwood is not harmful to the fish, and the assumption is that if you just leave things be over time the bacteria will colonize again and the fungus will vanish. I would probably take the driftwood out and give it a scrub with a stiff brush, rinse in spent tank water, and return to the tank, and hopefully beneficial bacteria will regrow.

Thanks, what about the egg shaped things? Do you think this could also be fungas?
Oh I should mention that I did not boil water with the wood in it, I just soaked it for a couple of days and then put it in the tank. :oops: And Thanks for the speedy response. :D

I suppose it could be eggs that were not fertilized and/or turned fungused (is that a word?..) Are the angels a pair? It does not really look like angel eggs that have turned, but it could be. Also, there are some snails that lay white firm eggs, like nerite snails.

In any case, I would not worry too much about it, as it is unlikely to be anything harmful :D

Thanks TankGirl. The Angelfish are new to the tank as of yesterday. I noticed the white eggs like substance a couple of days after I put the wood in the tank. I just noticed the waxy substance today, but I also switched my light from a 15w to 2 - 20watt lights, perhaps fungas was there days ago and I did't notice until I got some better lighting. :roll:

Ok thanks everyone. I will break out the Athelete's foot powder to get a handle on the fungus among us. LOL
:lol:

Back
Top Bottom