What is this on my driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mog

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

Have some sort of fungus growing on my driftwood. It seems to be growing fast, it's in 2 places on one piece and another place on the 2nd piece. I also see some of it mixed in with the micro sword, but that could have fallen off the driftwood and just got stuck on it.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Mog

Attachments

• Fungus 2011-04-24 008a.jpg
    Fungus 2011-04-24 008a.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Fungus 2011-04-24 014a.jpg
    Fungus 2011-04-24 014a.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 131
I have this aswell, only on driftwood (mopani). I'm at the end of a fishless cycle and was told diatoms will likely appear due to elevated and out of whack parameters.
Did you recently cycle ?
Is it only on driftwood ?
I figure it is part of a diatom outbreak, and wonder why it appears more silk/strand like on wood, as opposed to the flecks on the substrate/plastic plants.

Yes, I just finished cycling the tank yesterday. And no, other than a piece that's on one plant which may have just fallen off and hung up, it's not any where else.

I have a 6 week old 5g Betta tank that has a diatom issue now and never had anything like this... so I don't think that's what it is. But I could be wrong :) I've been doing searches, but other than the white fuzzy algae on DW, I haven't found anything similiar yet.

It goes away as the wood ages and the tank becomes established. Sorta the driftwood version of diatoms for sand.

Mog said:
Hi,

Have some sort of fungus growing on my driftwood. It seems to be growing fast, it's in 2 places on one piece and another place on the 2nd piece. I also see some of it mixed in with the micro sword, but that could have fallen off the driftwood and just got stuck on it.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Mog

I'm getting it during my cycle, it won't hurt anything but you can wipe it off if you want.

It looks like it may be a type of algae, it seems to have a green color, especially the growth near the filter outflow in the first pic. It also looks like the Otos are working at it a bit so thats good.

Nice Anubias flower btw.

Thanks,

The driftwood was used previously, so thought there wouldn't be any issues with it. The Oto's were just introduced into the tank, so I'm hoping they will help :)

Back
Top Bottom