What is this on my glass? Pictures included.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

studmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone,

I have this white stuff on my glass under the light and it is getting so thick that the light isn't coming through as much as it should. I've tried washing it with CLR, but it doesn't come off. Anybody know of what it is and how to get it off?

My aquarium is freshwater with a PH of about 7.4. Ammonia, nitrites are at 0 and my nitrates are currently around 40ppm. I used water conditioner everytime I introduce any new water to the tank. I add about 1 tbsp of aquarium salt per 5 galloons of water. Temperature is around 80. Only fish are mollies and some snails. This might be more info than you need, but I thought I would try to cover all the bases first.

Thanks in advance. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• picture-275_157.jpg
    picture-275_157.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 30
  • picture-276_202.jpg
    picture-276_202.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 284
It looks like hard water deposits to me. It's glass and not acrylic? If it is glass you should be able to carefully scrape it off with a razor blade.

I just douse a paper towel with straight white vinegar. It will come off pretty easy. Then wipe down with a clean damp rag afterwards.

the straight vinegar worked well on the glass in the picture, but I tried on one that was on an older tank that looked similar, but it didn't take anything off of that one. It almost seems like some ate into the glass or something. It's about 10 years old.

Anybody heard of that or seen stains that won't come off?

Only suggestion i have is to soak it in some Kaboom or in a vinegar baking soda paste. I have had to replace glass in the past. The paste gets it off most of the time but sometimes it is impossible to remove.

baking soda? I haven't heard that before. Well it can't hurt to try. Anybody know the science behind why baking soda would work?

studmaster said:
baking soda? I haven't heard that before. Well it can't hurt to try. Anybody know the science behind why baking soda would work?
the baking soda would just help make a paste with the vinegar, allowing better contact, it will however neutralize some of the acid in the vinegar, but probally not enough to reduce its effectiveness.

I know that you can use a baking soda/vinegar mix to unclog a drain..if it can do that........

Back
Top Bottom