Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Upland ca
Posts: 172
what is this on my lid?

Snail eggs or something? Its probably an inch and a half long by 1/2 inch wide

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130614_174319.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	180363
__________________

__________________
Passatryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragonfisher33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,963
that's pretty nasty looking. what do you have in your tank?
__________________

__________________
dragonfisher33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NYgiantsRP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,872
Definitely looks like eggs of some kind. As Huiz asked...what's your stock?
__________________
NYgiantsRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Upland ca
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by huizheng1988 View Post
that's pretty nasty looking. what do you have in your tank?
nothing crazy...a pair of gbr's, some guppies, tetras, live plants, snails, rasboras, co2... about it.
__________________
Passatryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NYgiantsRP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,872
Most likely the snails, though I have never seen eggs that look like that. Look like those tetras that lay their eggs on leaves out of the water, and splash by flicking there tails haha.
__________________
NYgiantsRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragonfisher33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgiantsRP View Post
Most likely the snails, though I have never seen eggs that look like that. Look like those tetras that lay their eggs on leaves out of the water, and splash by flicking there tails haha.
well, not exactly like that. rasbora and tetra are egg scatter-er. they don't deposit the eggs in one giant clump. most likely some snail eggs. what kind of snails do you have?
__________________
dragonfisher33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NYgiantsRP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by huizheng1988 View Post
well, not exactly like that. rasbora and tetra are egg scatter-er. they don't deposit the eggs in one giant clump. most likely some snail eggs. what kind of snails do you have?
Ya? I thought I seen on tv it was sack-like. But maybe I'm remembering wrong. I don't have any personal experience with ANY fish breeding! I just remember being amazed by the little guys.
__________________
NYgiantsRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,625
Its a mystery snail egg sack
__________________
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivercats's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 13,146
Yep mystery snails crawl out of the water and lay eggs where when the baby snails hatch they can fall right into the water. If you don't want more mystery snails you need to remove the eggs.
__________________
Rivercats 220g planted tank
Rivercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Upland ca
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
Yep mystery snails crawl out of the water and lay eggs where when the baby snails hatch they can fall right into the water. If you don't want more mystery snails you need to remove the eggs.
are mystery snails the giant purple ones? I've never bought any snails ever... they were always just freebies that came on plants
__________________
Passatryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passatryde View Post
are mystery snails the giant purple ones? I've never bought any snails ever... they were always just freebies that came on plants
Yeah they are. I wouldn't consider this species of snail too terrible to have an abundance of, although they can get pretty big.
__________________

__________________
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.