What is this? Please advise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superpeytonm

Aquarium Advice Freak
In my 75 gal, my smaller blood parrot has recently been hiding more than usual. She still eats fine, but tonight I noticed a small yellow-ish spot on her side. I checked all the other fish, but none have this.
Parameters:
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 40 (I've been working to lower my nitrates. Still in progress.)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448256364.881333.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448256378.052985.jpg

Looks like it could be ich or a place where it got pecked. I would work on dropping the nitrates. You can do multiple 50% water changes daily as long as you keep them an hour apart or so. Get your nitrates down to 10ppm and keep them there for a bit. If its a damaged scale it will heal just fine. If its ich you will know in a few weeks.

It's really too small/low resolution to tell. My Oscar frequently has marks on him but it's not any illness. He's just a clumsy oaf that bangs into stuff. That being said, if it's a scrape, you wanna make sure you keep your water solid because otherwise it could introduce infection like Columnaris.

If it looks like someone sprinkled the hell outta your blood parrot with salt, it might be Ick. It looks like salt granules and it tends to be all over the body

It could just be a dislodged scale. I have a harlequin with such a scale and thought it was early signs of ich but it's now been like that for over a year. The scale catches the light differently from all those around it and looks like a spot, but it's not. Maybe yours is similar.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

Back
Top Bottom