What is this snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Came with some plants don't want it to destroy my plants or kill my bladder snails. Any info would be awesome

Attachments

• image-2141298729.jpg
    image-2141298729.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 138
+1 Pond snail. At least it looks like the 30 or so I'm cultivating for my GSP's.

By pond snail do u mean this?
SnailMesodonClausus01.jpg

By pond snail do u mean this?

That's what they look like just a lot tinier, but that pic of Ramshorn you posted is pretty close too. If they are Rams, I wonder if I shouldn't sell them rather than feed them to my puffers? May have to keep a few back and see how they look when full sized.

Mr. Limpet said:
That's what they look like just a lot tinier, but that pic of Ramshorn you posted is pretty close too. If they are Rams, I wonder if I shouldn't sell them rather than feed them to my puffers? May have to keep a few back and see how they look when full sized.

I really think they are the Rams.

The first pic is definitely a ramshorn.

Hey Mr. Limpet..ramshorns would be hard to sell I think. They are very common, you can get them for free from most lfs, and they reproduce like crazy. Even my rarer pink and blue ones I can't get more than like .50 ea for sometimes.

The first pic is definitely a ramshorn.

Hey Mr. Limpet..ramshorns would be hard to sell I think. They are very common, you can get them for free from most lfs, and they reproduce like crazy. Even my rarer pink and blue ones I can't get more than like .50 ea for sometimes.

Looks like I have those more than pond snails then.

My 5* LFS sells (what looks like) ramshorns and (zebra) nerites for $2.99 each, Assassins go for $5.99 each. It's worth a shot I think :). I get MTS for free from another LFS and no one sells those.

Hmm those can't be ramshorns. They just can't be. I mean that they are selling for $2.99. I think that's not possible...? Are they very small? Ramshorns stay the size of like..a shelled a walnut.

Ramshorns. Never heard of them selling for that high of a price. Wow.... I've fed a fortune to our loaches! lol

Hmm those can't be ramshorns. They just can't be. I mean that they are selling for $2.99. I think that's not possible...? Are they very small? Ramshorns stay the size of like..a shelled a walnut.

Is there another snail that looks like a ramshorn that could command such a price? I reluctantly paid $8 each for a pair of CRS from the same place too:eek:.

Well depending on the grade, that's not that bad. I paid $4 each for S+ grade CRS and considered it a bargain. I can't think of anything else that would have that flat type spiral. Unless it's the illeagal type of apple snail. Very strange. :huh:

Looks like a ramshorn to me. Pond snails or bladder snails have more of a conical shell. Have hundreds in my tank

Definitely ramshorns, I have hundreds if not thousands of them ranging from brown to gold to pink. My LFS sells some giant ramshorns that are literally somewhere between golf ball and baseball size.

100% a ramshorn. they are good to feed to puffers by the way. I paid 1.00 for 4 and im trying to get them to populate my 10 gallon platy fry tank for future puffer food. I also have pond snails in there too. The two best snails for figure 8s are ramshorn and pond snails because they have softer shells that will wear down the puffers beak but wont chip or break it.

Alright so it's a ramshorn. Will they eat BBA by any chance. If not have no use for them. Thanks for are yalls help!

Atxpunx said:
Alright so it's a ramshorn. Will they eat BBA by any chance. If not have no use for them. Thanks for are yalls help!

They might graze on it.. not sure it will be enough to make any major dents. Someone else might have more info though.

Mr. Limpet said:
Looks like I have those more than pond snails then.

My 5* LFS sells (what looks like) ramshorns and (zebra) nerites for $2.99 each, Assassins go for $5.99 each. It's worth a shot I think :). I get MTS for free from another LFS and no one sells those.

Where is this LFS and can you send some nerites to me?! Lol. Petco and petsmart just have apples... And they don't help much with algae.

Back
Top Bottom