Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What is this white/clear stringy stuff?

I have had one or two fancy goldfish in a 10g tank for about two years now (with one small algae eater). My goldfish died a couple months ago when I went on vacation. After about a month I decided to switch over to tropical fish and added the heater. I am mantaining a temperature of 76 to 78 degrees.

So I added dwarf gourami about a week ago. He seems skittish and likes to hide, hasn't eaten much yet but otherwise seems like he is not stressed. A couple days ago I added three platys, they are doing great and are very active during the feeding.

Over the last few days, I have noticed white stringy stuff clinging to some of my plants and also attached to my Dwarf Gourami. I have googled the stuff and lots of people ask about it but I rarely see a good answer. So I have attached some video and would love to get an opinion.

Of course I am mostly concerned this could be a disease or something. The Gourami's have two feeler things and that is not my concern, it is the spider web, loosely floating stuff near the belly of the fish.

Does anyone know where the anus is for the gourami, is it possible this is just fecal matter and the anus is very far forward due to the length of the anal fin?

Thanks in advance, the video can be found here:

Tags
clear, stringy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com