What is this white stuff in my aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrew456

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I'm new here, didn't really know where to post this.
I have a 29 gallon aquarium that is currently in the process of a fishless cycle, its been going for about two weeks now. This morning I noticed a few white looking thread things hanging off of my driftwood. Didn't think much of it, but when I got home from work there was more of it and it starting clogging up my intake on my filter. Is this fungus? If so, what could've caused it and how should I treat it? If not, does anybody know what it is?
I've never dealt with fungus before so I don't really know how to identify it.
Thanks in advance!
Here's a link to two pictures of it
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

It's a completely safe fungus that appears when wood is added to the aquarium. Don't worry about removing it and if you have shrimp they'll feast on it but again, it's completely safe.

Yep, this is fungus and fish/shrimp LOVE to feast on it. Once you get some livestock in there, it'll disappear really quickly so don't worry about it. Just recently reintroduced my fish to my tank after a move and the two massive pieces of fungus covered wood was cleaned completely the next day. My Otos are so fat now aha

Back
Top Bottom