what is wrong here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, thanks for that info. Gonna get a new one ASAPand when I get a new one ill make sure to check the lot#s,

Good idea, however, I'd try one more time with a Betta. I don't know much about goldfish, but Oto's are notoriously sensitive, so that might explain their deaths. And it could be that the first Betta you got just wasn't strong for whatever reason (it happens, I've had seemingly healthy fish die in the bag after just a few minutes).

But test your water with that new kit first!

Well I wad shocked to see the goldie dead, aren't they hardy fish? It just baffled me. Kind of discouraging, like I'm done with keeping fish feeling.

Other than the a foreign toxin making it's way into the tank...I unfortunately don't have anything else to offer. Sorry about your fish :(

When in doubt, make sure you keep up the water changes. Pwc's every day for a week is a good idea IMO, and also running some carbon to potentially absorb anything that found it's way into the tank would also be a help as well.

I agree that the Otos aren't a good benchmark of if something is wrong...they die off very easily when they are new. But the Betta and Goldish are a bit curious.

How can I keep up with the pwc and levels without a source of ammo? I have about 13 plants in there. If I add carbon to my filter won't this affect the plants? Thanks eco for adding to the thread.

GoneFishing said:
How can I keep up with the pwc and levels without a source of ammo? I have about 13 plants in there. If I add carbon to my filter won't this affect the plants? Thanks eco for adding to the thread.

Oh! Sorry man. I thought there were still a couple fish. In that case a 100% water change (done quickly so the walls and deco don't dry out), or several large water changes to basically replace and refresh all the water as well as running carbon is what I'd do. If you wanted, after replacing the water, if you wanted to run carbon for a few days before adding fish again...you could just dose the tank up to ~1ppm during that time to keep the bacteria fed.

The carbon strips out some trace nutrients...but it won't have a major impact on your plants unless you keep it in there for a really long time. Tons of people don't even know carbon has any effect on plants, they run it permanently and still have a healthy planted tank.

eco23 said:
Oh! Sorry man. I thought there were still a couple fish. In that case a 100% water change (done quickly so the walls and deco don't dry out), or several large water changes to basically replace and refresh all the water as well as running carbon is what I'd do. If you wanted, after replacing the water, if you wanted to run carbon for a few days before adding fish again...you could just dose the tank up to ~1ppm during that time to keep the bacteria fed.

The carbon strips out some trace nutrients...but it won't have a major impact on your plants unless you keep it in there for a really long time. Tons of people don't even know carbon has any effect on plants, they run it permanently and still have a healthy planted tank.

Thanks for the info.. I know this will sound like a majority of people out there but my 29g was never I.intentionally cycled. All I did was add plants, waited a month and added fish.. that tank has been successfully up and running for over a year now. With that said, do you think I could just be over thinking things and in turn jeopardizing my own success?

Your bio-filter is the most important part of any aquarium system IMO. Keeping it healthy and strong is something that can never be overrated or should be taken for granted. Since now you're familiar with the nitrogen cycle and know how to maintain it...it should always be at the forefront of your mind and keeping it healthy one of your main priorities.

Just to sum it all up in my mind :)

If your tank was sitting in my living room and I was facing the same issue...I would do several massive water changes to basically replace every drop of water with fresh, I would rinse the filter media in dechlorinated water, I would run carbon for a few days to hopefully absorb any toxins, I would add a small amount of ammonia every day to keep the bio-filter strong...then I would add a few fish (making sure ammo and no2 are at zero) after a few days of doing all this. Just what I'd do personally :)

Yea.. like I said before its discouraging. Just hope I can figure it out before I lose all hope.

GoneFishing said:
Yea.. like I said before its discouraging. Just hope I can figure it out before I lose all hope.

Don't lose hope! Back when I had a 55 gallon tropical community (which is now an African Cichlid tank), I had a really stubborn case of Ick wipe out my whole tank, and it started just after I put the last fish in. Not only that, but the meds (ich attack) killed my plants, so my tank was left barren. It was horribly discouraging, since a disease that's is supposedly easily treated had managed to completely wipe me out, despite the fact that I was doing everything I was supposed to.

I ended up leaving the tank just sitting with water and nothing else for about a month, and I was actually looking to see if anyone would want to buy it. But I decided to give it another go, and the tank worked beautifully for about 2 years before I decided to switch over to Cichlids. So keep your head up!

It also helped me to just keep myself busy with something else for a while before trying again. It made it feel like more of a fresh start, and I had the energy to try again.

Just as a little aside, I wouldn't recommend doing what I did. Leaving the tank like that obviously killed my biological filtration, so I'd go with what Eco recommended lol.

One last question though, and sorry if it's a dumb one, but does your tank have surface agitation sufficient enough for good oxygenation? It wouldn't explain much about the death of the Betta, but could possibly be a factor with the oto's and the goldfish.

Thanks patterson. For the kind words of encouragement. I have taken about 75% of the water out and have the new water primed and ready to go.

The filter I have has a power output which causes a good current in the tank. I have thought about getting an airstone for this reason. Not sure it will benefit much.

The plants in my 10g are thriving! Does this have any relation to what was said earlier in this thread?

Is your water temprature in proper range big fluctuations in temp will kill fish

Yea that was one of my main concerns, since I recently replaced a faulty heater, I double checked the temperature prior to adding him and checked in multiple times throughout the night. I couldn't really find any info on the type of goldfish I got, most sites said you can use the common goldfish knowledge so maybe that's where my issue is?

Back
Top Bottom