What is your platy tank like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sophiamarvv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don't have an all platy tank, I have them in with guppies, a gourami, and some bottom feeders. No matter how clean my water is, no matter my how good my parameters I can't keep my platies happy. They are always clamping.
I have them in 7.2 ph and the highest their nitrate is ever at is 10 with 0 of the other two. The temperature is at 77 Fahrenheit, and there's a bunch of plants and hiding spots.
So my question is: How do you keep your platies happy?

To be honest the only luck I've had with any livebearers is to keep them in species only tanks. I don't know what it is no matter how nice I've kept their tanks they just seem to do better with their own kind. Shoot i have s guppy/endler tank right now that is far from "par" as far as stocking or water standards go and they are all happy and healthy. I also had a similar tank with platies and swords that did just fine until i introduced other types of fish. Idk but Im glad to hear Im not the only one with problems!

My I have 4 platy 3 males and 1 female.. Why? Ha I don't know wasn't thinking I guess but their constantly chasing each other.. But probably the most hardy and active fish I have.. but could be your male to female ratio has them all mad.. Or how are your plants doing and or your light schedule.. I have herd that plants tend to convert to releasing co2 at night or when the lights off do you think their getting enough O2.. Don't have a planted tank though so not speaking from experience

I have plants but I've just now dived into the science of keeping them, so I have no idea about o2. I have a bubbler in the tank that we bought to break the surface tension and get more air in there. Our lights are typically on for about 12 hours on 12 hours off, sometimes a little more sometimes a little less. As far as my male to female, I have 2 males to 5 females.

Back
Top Bottom