what kills them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DepotFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I lost both of my mystery snails over thanksgiving break. The pond snail is fine though. No ammonia or nitrites in the water. Phosphates and nitrates very low. No salt since I got the snails. No chemical treatments currently. Oxygen level was fine, though the water did increase to about 80F over the time I was gone. Goldfish enjoyed the sauna, went into breeding season. Snails, not so much. I hate paying money for the darn things if all they do is keel over. I've got an add for pond snails on craigslist but no answers to it yet.

I read somewhere that the most common cause of death in mystery snails is starvation - you'd be surprised how much those guys can chow down.
Temps around 80 should be ok, but I did lose a few during ich treatment (87F).
Which fish were they in with ? Could they have been picked at and either killed that way or stressed to death ?

my redtail shark was the reason two of my ramshorns died within 3 days of each other recently, he always came up behind and nipped them when they were jsut minding there own bussiness, I agree with joannde on the fact they can eat alot, most likely was starvation, sorry for your loss though

Makes sense. They are little pigs. They were walmart snails. Kept in little cups with a rotting piece of plant that didn't look like anything they'd even want to eat. I gave them a algae wafer in their cups overnight for them to eat before adding them to the tank. One of them chowed down on a wafer but the other didn't seem to find it.

Could easily have been in bad shape when you got them. I have seen way too many dead mystery snails in Walmart tanks. Keep trying craigs list to try and find some healthy ones or find a LFS that has or can order them.

Back
Top Bottom