what kind of algae eater is this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Otocinclus sir :) I have 3 in my 10 gallon but their top fin is not as developed as those

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Be careful with pleco's, the ones that get big like 10 or 18 inches produce a lot more waste than eat algae. I have a clown pleco that only gets to be 3 inches and he hardly produces any waste at all. Just a warning.

Like I said, either the nicest schooling fish around or Satan straight from the depths of the underworld. In this case it happens to be satan. The siamese algae eaters, flying foxes, and oto cats all have a single solid stripe along their side. The chinese algae eaters have the vertical banding you're seeing on this fish.

My suggestion is to return him. These chinese algae eaters gain the reputation of sucking the eyeballs out of other fish and when they get bigger they just outright eat the other fish alive. They are one fish that do not belong in the hobby.

yes, these fish are EVIL!!!!!!

Sorry, I missed how big your tank is. A bnp depends on the tank size. They are cool fish, but rather messy in smaller tanks and I would personally only get one for like a 29g or more. Maybe a 20g long, but not a 20g tall.
Otos are cool, but can be a little sensitive and need an aged tank with plenty of biolfilm for everybody.
The rubberlip is a good smaller algae eater that does well in a community and is usually easy to find.

I was misinformed by a LFS employee that this would make a fantastic community algae eater. Almost bullied my gouramis to death before I removed it!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I remember 3 years ago when I had one he was a [edit] to catch when I re-homed him. The Biggest tool Ive ever seen attacking every fish I owned and eating holes in my plants. Good luck getting him out. You may need an exorcism.

Last edited by a moderator:
My tank is 75 gallons. Stocked with 2 gouramis, 3 giant danios, and one REALLY big blood parrot. I will look into the rubberlip, thanks!

Don't rehome him! I have two Chinese algae eaters both are fully mature and they are so sweet! It all really depends on your individual CAE!

Fish have personalities it really depends on how it behaves. Some are mean as H*** while others are very docile, just keep an eye on it and see how it behaves.

My favorite algae eater is the SAE. But otos are great too.

Shep

This is not a SAE.

This look like a Chinese Algae Eater.
They get big and may become overly agressive in small tanks.

Bristle nose are awesome! Work great, never harassed anyone

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom