What kind of bioload would angelicus botia be? aka polka dot loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have two of them that I will be adding to my 60 gallon soon. Currently I have three guppies, two red wag platies, 16 neon tetras, four otocinclus and soon to add two angelicus botia. I also have a few cherry shrimp, but was told that even though these particular loaches are extremely peaceful they will see the shrimp as food so I may remove the shrimp and start a nano shrimp tank. Anyway, just curious what type of bioload these particular loaches have. Is there a place to look that stuff up? Is there any type of scale or something on bioloads of different species etc?

I have two of them that I will be adding to my 60 gallon soon. Currently I have three guppies, two red wag platies, 16 neon tetras, four otocinclus and soon to add two angelicus botia. I also have a few cherry shrimp, but was told that even though these particular loaches are extremely peaceful they will see the shrimp as food so I may remove the shrimp and start a nano shrimp tank. Anyway, just curious what type of bioload these particular loaches have. Is there a place to look that stuff up? Is there any type of scale or something on bioloads of different species etc?
You should have them in groups so I would suggest getting four of them, and I doubt they would do anything to your shrimp at all. I have clowns, striata and angelicus and they couldnt care less about my ghost, amano, or my bamboo shrimp. and as far as bioload goes I wouldnt think of them being particularly messy, they will eat any food at all that settles on the substrate and I wouldnt imagine their bioload being any more than an adult platies or swordtails, in fact my swordtails gross me out sometimes with their mess but never the loaches.
they're definitely great and interesting fish.

Wiggles,
Just out of curiosity, how were your clowns destructive??

I used to have some and I don't think their bioload is particularly high. But I would also suggest putting them into a group. Get at least one more, but in that size tank you could easily manage a group of 5. They enjoy having other loaches around, even if they aren't the same species. My Angelicus and striatas used to hang out together all the time. They are fun to watch, and I find them more active when in groups.

I used to have some and I don't think their bioload is particularly high. But I would also suggest putting them into a group. Get at least one more, but in that size tank you could easily manage a group of 5. They enjoy having other loaches around, even if they aren't the same species. My Angelicus and striatas used to hang out together all the time. They are fun to watch, and I find them more active when in groups.

Very true, all of my loaches hang out. So don't limit yourself to angelicus unless you really like their patterns, you can mix and match. But no clowns/skunks/red tails for a 60

Back
Top Bottom