What kind of cichlids are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbirath001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought these tonight in the assorted cichlid section. Anyone know what species this is?

Attachments

• image-2068306755.jpg
    image-2068306755.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 142
  • image-2156393269.jpg
    image-2156393269.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 134
I bought these tonight in the assorted cichlid section. Anyone know what species this is?

African cichlids really are not my cup of tea, but the first one looks like an electric blue johanni. I am unsure on the ID of the second. You may get better answers if you ask a mod or admin to move this to the cichlid section, the people there will be able to help you out much more than me.

Last edited:
African cichlids really are not my cup of tea, but the first one looks like an electric blue johanni. I am unsure on the ID of the second. You may get better answers if you ask a mod or admin to move this to the cichlid section, the people there will be able to help you out much more than me.

Thanks! I think your right.

They do look a lot like mainganos Probably a male and female. Side note, keeping just 2 of the same cichlid species is rarely a good plan. They usually end up killing each other, especially when Mbunas are concerned.

Ahh now I'm really confused I thought it was the johanni.

Google is a wonderful thing. I learned the difference between Johanni and Maingano. They are nearly identical! Except the Johanni mid and and top bars will connect in places giving it a spotted striped pattern. So looks like it is Maingano to me. Male and female look identical so you would have to vent to find out. Female johanni are yellow.

Looks like this to me: Melanochromis Pallarelus

img_2566176_0_7db084e5fa200afaabf130516bd26e52.jpg

I am in no way an expert in any of theses fields, but I did some research and found this great website that might help you for further identification of chichilds.:)

What is it? Sounds like what I need. :)

Google is a wonderful thing. I learned the difference between Johanni and Maingano. They are nearly identical! Except the Johanni mid and and top bars will connect in places giving it a spotted striped pattern. So looks like it is Maingano to me. Male and female look identical so you would have to vent to find out. Female johanni are yellow.

Hmmm they are VERY close.

The verdic is in!!! I called the LFS and they only had electric blue johannies for sale. :)

both look like electric blue johonni the one on the left is darker in color as the right but both males females are yellow

Back
Top Bottom