What kind of pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaylach

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Out in space. I just use Wyoming for mail ;)
I love Plecos but really don't know the different types. I just think he/she is REALLY well formed and pretty. I imagine that it is just what would be considered a 'common pleco' but would appreciate if any can give specifics. Sorry as the full image is much larger than needed but as I REALLY like the danged thing. You should see this thing in full 'glory'! The following shot is with the critter at rest,

LOL! I have a wood spit with a leaf of spinach planted in the tank. I've seen the thing chewing on the spit but it has not touched the spinach. I guess it just does not yet realize it is food.

<edit>
I stand corrected! Pleco has just seemed to discove that spinach is yummt! :)

IMG_2214.JPG

Ive never kept plecos, so caveat and hopefully someone with pleco first hand experience chips in.

It does look like a common pleco. Have you bought it? If the fish wasnt identified as a specific type of pleco, safe assumption its a common.

These fish get huge, maybe 2 feet. Much too big to keep in your 20 gallon tank. Unless you are planning on an upgrade to 100g + in the near future might be best to return it and get a smaller species of pleco. Problem with them when they get bigger is that so many people run into issues with housing them its difficult to find somewhere to rehome them.

Sigh, I inherited the danged thing along with a tiny albino cory and a tetra. When I got them they were in a plant vase without any sort of air flow or filtration. I wasn't just going to let them die in the vase so picked up a 2 gallon mini tank to keep them alive for a while. Then the original owner decided that he didn't want them back. Along with my missing water this is what led to the 20 gallon cube.

I know that the pleco can easily outgrow the tank but already have plans for the possibility of at least a 50 gallon tank. May sound funny but I'd get 500 pounds of sand bags (or more if I went larger as to a tank) first and then bounce on them. I live in a third floor apartment and would want to proof that the floor would handle the ~500 pounds of a 50 gallon tank.

I have plenty of time to figure all this out as the danged pleco won't outgrow the 20 gallon tank for a while even though it eats like a pig. :)

LOL! Then I have to deal with my 'demon cockatiel' which is totally fascinated by the tank. Here is a pic that shows his interest when I first had the tiny tank. :) He sat there for over an hour just watching.
bird+likes+fish.JPG

A tiger pleco maybe? It seems too pretty to be a common one. Tiger plecos are still chonky but are a much more manageable size than common plecos that need flipping 125 gallon tanks.

I love plecos :) they are one of my favorite fish.

There are 100's of pleco and even worse the exact pattern changes on them as they age. I'm not convince it is a common pleco. A few better pictures might help. Also if it is one of the wood eating pleco (such as tiger); it is imperative that you have wood in the aquarium. Malaysian wood is particularly good since it is fairly soft.

Back
Top Bottom