What kind of pleco am I?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thedavinator

Aquarium Advice Regular
Bought this little guy about a week ago. I know he's a pleco, but what kind specifically?

Attachments

• image-1844951280.jpg
    image-1844951280.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 150
I think that could be a common, but I am not sure.

EDIT: After looking at some pictures, I think that is a sailfin pleco. They grow very large, what kind of tank is he in?

Yeah, he/she's definitely a sailfin. Thanks guys! Anybody know if it's possible to sex? It doesn't really matter because I don't plan on breeding (I heard its rather difficult) but it's always cool to know.

bud29 said:
EDIT: After looking at some pictures, I think that is a sailfin pleco. They grow very large, what kind of tank is he in?

He's in a 29 gallon right now. I've got 3 platys, 2 mollys and a male beta. Plus nine 1 1/2 platy and molly fry, but they'll be removed soon. I know plecos can get pretty big. He's really small right now. Maybe 4in max, so I've got time until he's huge.

I'm going to go with the leopard sailfin
.._images_PLECNSTOMUS_HIFIN.jpeg

You have to keep in mind that no pleco looks the same and there is so many different types due to breeding. I own a Columbian spotted pleco which is just a fancy name for an off breed of the leopard.

So he could be like a crossbreed or something? I've looked at pictures of commons and sailfins, and he shares similarities with both. I'm not sure if he's a leopard or not . He's very small. I'll try to get some better shots if him when he's not hiding.

Back
Top Bottom