What kind of pleco is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'll be posting pictures asap but I got this pleco when he was about an inch or two long and now he's about 4-5 inches long and he has this GIANT dorsal fin. At first I thought he had finrot but this isnt the case because he's been like this his whole life ever since I bought him at the petstore. Its been about two-three years since then so I'd hope I'd realize it was fin rot. Anyway his dorsal fin is just massive compared to his body, its very very tall and its reminds me of a flag on a pirate ship. I'll be posting pictures as soon as I can get him to come out from hiding.

img_2668922_0_7fdde2d68682e6609f103ce0b4642271.jpg

I know its a bad photo but he would'nt come out. But remember the piratey like dorsal fin I was describing? thats it right there. Thats what makes me think he isnt a common pleco

Thats why I cant figure out what he is. I'm pretty sure it isnt finrot. I own a goldfish that suffers from finrot because he's a sinker and its fuzzy and white and well rots away but of his tailfin. He gets bouts of it periodically but as long as I keep up with the heavy water changes it gets better. Anyway yeah its crazy. The weird thing is this fin isnt long, like across his body. Its tall. Like you'd imagine a sail on a boat. He doesnt resemble a sailfin I dont think.

whoa. that is really weird. it its dorsal fin split in two, and half of it is fine? it could just be from wedging itself into things

The fin literally resembles a feather fin catfish fin lol, that's weird. Maybe when he comes out we'll be able to have a positive ID on him.

The fin literally resembles a feather fin catfish fin lol, that's weird. Maybe when he comes out we'll be able to have a positive ID on him.
Thats it!! Thats exactly what he looks like :) The store I bought him from said he was a pleco....

At least he's in a large enough tank for a pleco, and from what I'm reading both his tank and tank mates are still appropriate for a featherfin catfish. He's only got one tankmake an albino corydora.

At least he's in a large enough tank for a pleco, and from what I'm reading both his tank and tank mates are still appropriate for a featherfin catfish. He's only got one tankmake an albino corydora.

Awesome, glad you found out what the "pleco" was haha.

Awesome, glad you found out what the "pleco" was haha.
XD me too. No wonder I'd been so confused on why none of the pleco pictures looked like my fish. Honestly I was wondering if he was mutated....I have a goldfish like that, she has no gill covers. Its odd looking at first but she has a great life and she's healthy.

Back
Top Bottom