what kind of schooling fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mus

Aquarium Advice Regular
Which types of fish create a good school, would like a dream to have fish in a schooling moving around together.

A list and amount would be nice, also do gold minnows and white clouds school together, they seem like the same fish but diffrent colour.

neon tetras school together, in order to get a good effect, i reccomend more than 8. bloodfin tetras also school, same numbers reccomended

If you're willing to have a tank large enough, then a fish that schools VERY closely are the glass catfish. They even rub on each other and nudge each other affectionately sometimes. In a school of 6 or more they're a beautiful addition.

Schooling is a defense mechanism that fish use in the wild to fend off predators (Makes them look bigger). Once settled in the aquarium, they will loosen and go their own ways. Theres no guarantee that a fish will Always school unless threated.

There's pretty much a guarantee glass cats will school, actually. But they don't move around much.

Glass cats definitely school...no doubt about that. However, since they're stationary most of the time, it may not be what you're looking for.

My discus definitely stick together most of the time. I like it when they go as a group across the tank. It looks neat.

My cories also typically do things as a group, but they splinter apart too sometimes.

Redline barbs/Roseline sharks (Puntius denisonii) shoal very nicely.

I'm still a bit confused on the difference between shoaling and schooling, but they are nice bigger fish that always hang out together, and it's really neat when they swim across the whole tank to see the red and black lines moving as a pack.

I'm still a bit confused on the difference between shoaling and schooling, but they are nice bigger fish that always hang out together, and it's really neat when they swim across the whole tank to see the red and black lines moving as a pack.

I just call it all "schooling". Eliminates confusion for me. I figure the brain has a finite amount of room for storage of information, so I'm going to store what's more important about the aquarium hobby.

I have harlequin rasbora in a tank with angelfish. Even though the angels don't harass the rasbora they will school. In fact, I plan on adding some more to increase the size of the school (currently I have 5).

I accually thought that one was the american versionand the other 'schooling' was the uk version of the same meaning, so there totally different right? Lol does anyone have a definition of the two?

Also thanks for the answers & for the confusion :)

This is from wikipedia so take it with a grain of aquarium salt.
"In biology, any group of fish that stay together for social reasons are said to be shoaling, and if, in addition, the group is swimming in the same direction in a coordinated manner, they are said to be schooling.

Shoaling is a group of schooling fish thats moves as a group, but each individual fish is moving their own way. Or in short, a herd of fish.

Schooling is when a group of schooling fish moves in the same direction and at the same time.

This is from wikipedia so take it with a grain of aquarium salt.
"In biology, any group of fish that stay together for social reasons are said to be shoaling, and if, in addition, the group is swimming in the same direction in a coordinated manner, they are said to be schooling.

Schooling and shoaling describe what the fish are doing at the moment. When the group is on the move, they are schooling. When they aren't they are shoaling. Most aquariums are not large enough for fish to actually school, as that would entail having a place to go.

If you have a big enough tank and would like to keep something a little more aggressive try red tailed barracuda watching them eat is better than shark week

My silver dollars are always together. They swim together against the powerhead then go back and do it again. But throw in an algae wafer, it's every fish for itself.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Danios often stay together most of the time, although you hardly call it schooling. They are way too random! Neon tetras always look good in a group. Most tetras will shoal together.

Shadowraven said:
Danios often stay together most of the time, although you hardly call it schooling. They are way too random! Neon tetras always look good in a group. Most tetras will shoal together.

I call it schooling! My danios will school as they're supposed to sometimes. Other times they break of into groups of two or three.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

I've had several schooling fish that don't really school most of the time. The only ones that really stuck together a lot were the harlequin rasboras. Most schooling fish only school if they're frightened. I find though that's only true if there is a larger fish in the tank. Even it's just one type of fish in the tank, the scared fish hide more often than school.

Back
Top Bottom