Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

What kind of snail?

Thinking of getting a snail or two for my 10 gallon planted tank. All that is in it is a betta and 5 neons. I would idealy like one that will eat diatoms and brown algea as I seem to get both but not much green algea.

Also how many should I get?

Or would it be a better idea to not kill the pond snails that sneak in on my next plant and then maybe get an assasin snail?

I havent ever had snails before so all opinions appreciated.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Personally i like mystery snails. The gold ones look really goo in a tank. If you have sand substrate i would reccommend trumpet snails to also churn the sand.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

No sand. I use Eco Complete. I do have live plants tho.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I too like mystery snails. Right now I have two albino ones that are awesome looking, especially now that their shells are growing in white instead of fish store yellow. Here is one of my guys. They live to search for food. Always comping as they glide over the glass or anything.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I highly recommend them. I love watching mine. He want from cruising to a hard workout in like 2 seconds in these pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130216_002221.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	152451

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130216_002237.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	152452
Old 02-16-2013, 02:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

How big do mystery snails get? Will he be okay with my current tank occupants? How much do they add bioload wise? Should it be an issue in a 10 gallon? Also are they okay by themselves or should I have two?
Old 02-16-2013, 02:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

With your stocking I would go with one. I know that mystery snails can get pretty big in ponds but they don't live long enough to get huge in an aquarium setting. I think they last anywhere between 2 and 5 years. The warmer the tank the more active they'll be but they'll live for a shorter period of time. Cooler water they slow down but live longer. I just got my albinos a couple weeks ago. They can have a bigger bioload but you should be ok with just one.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can also try nerite snails. There are different sizes depending on the species. I think horned nerite snails are one of the smallest (if not the smallest) and they look pretty cool. Freshwater nerite snails won't reproduce in freshwater but they will lay eggs. Some hobbyists say they lay a ton and it bothers them and others say not so much. I personally have 6 horned nerites and 1 zebra nerite in my 50 gallon planted and actually have never noticed any eggs.

Mine cruise along the glass, substrate, plants and driftwood and even the water line. Nerites are tidal snails and they can live out of water for a short time so its a good idea to have a lid on your tank.

They won't eat your live plants and some say they will eat dead plant matter but I haven't really noticed them eating it in my tank. I do see them sliding around some diatoms on my glass though and they seem to do a decent job on it (I recently added a little more sand).

There's a ton of different species of nerites so you might want to give them a look.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I LOVE the Mystery snails & Nerite snails. In 3 of my 10g tanks I have 1 Mystery snail & 2 nerite snails with 1 Male Betta each. I have a Golden mystery in 1 tank & blues in the other 2. My biggest & oldest boy however is in my 46g, he's black but has brown stripes & about the size of a golf ball. The nerites are cool, they don't reproduce in freshwater but they're small & can be hard to spot sometimes plus its typically hard to find them for sale locally. Be prepared for your Betta to probably nip the antennae off the Mystery snail at first, mine all did but now they could care less about them unless the Betta wants to nibble on the snails food at the same time as the snail but no more nipping.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

If the betta nips at the mystery snails antenae will that make the snail sick will it die? I found some pretty magenta ones I kinda liike but I wouldnt want to put it in a habitat that wouldnt be suited for him. Would nerites be a better choice?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your betta will get used to the snail. I had one of mine lose a feeler to another fish. They grow back.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Would a baby mystery snail be a bad idea? I found one on ebay but they say its about dime size. I really cant get much close to home I typically have to order online.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is perfectly fine. All mine started out with me at that size
Old 02-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

A baby should be fine. They grow pretty quickly. My two have added a half inch to their shells in around 3 weeks.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Okay I ordered him. I am super excited. So what tips do I need to know? I have been looking them up online for a long time btu would love your experience and tips to keep him extra happy.

Also will I need to do more frequent water changes? I do a 25% water change every Sunday. Will I need to do them more often to make up for his waste? As I mentioned he will be in a 10 gallon tank with 1 Betta and 5 Neon Tetras.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

You could bump up your water changes to 30% a week and be fine. You should feed him around a quarter of an algae wafer every couple of days. Once he reaches around an inch in diameter half an algae wafer will do.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:17 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Snails, snails & more snails!

You would want to drip acclimate him, or at least slowly add a little bit of your tank water every little bit of time to equalize the tank water to your snail and what he's used to so the pH/water parameters don't shock his system.

Being shipped I doubt he will come in very much water, try to think in proportion to the water quantity he comes in like maybe 2 oz of water comes with him maybe add 1/4 tsp every half hour until volume has doubled.

You also can do a quick test on the snails water and see how close it is to your own and if there is only a small difference then it may not need to take as long. As you won't have as far to meet both water parameters.

When you get the water equalized, then float for a bit for temperature evenness, then put him into his new home.

Here is one of my favorite pics of red pearl Ramshorn.

[IMG][/IMG]

Heres a fun one where the pond snail is hitch hiking on the golden Apple snail!

This is what the Apple snails eggs look like if they lay them. Mine should hatch sometime this week if all goes well!

Snails are a lot of fun. I have a Nerite too, awesome cleaner. She leaves some eggs, they don't bother me much. If I find some nice shelled Horned Nerites I will be bringing them home!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com