what kind of snail is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GlitcH

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a bunch of snails, I guess they're from the plant shipment.
They have very thin shells.
Can anyone tell me what kind this is and if it is harmful?

snailfromplantshipment.jpg

TIA

Not sure of the exact species, look like some sort of common pond snails. Are the plants showing signs of being eaten (Holes in leaves) ? If not, they're harmless. Any kind of botis would love to eat them for you.

Yep - pond snails. They are hermaphrodites and can multiply quite quickly, so you may end up having a lot of them if you don't start eradicating them now.

Or you could just get another tank for a pufferfish and have a constant supply of puffer food.

MTS ;)

I haven't noticed any plant problems yet........and I have seen them gather in the algae problem areas.

I have been removing them when I see them.......thx for the advice guys.

botis?.........is that a loach?

I believe what was meant by that is Botias. They are a genus of loaches which eat snails. They include (but not limited to), yoyo's, clown's, & skunk's.

:oops: Ya. typo error, meant botia's, if the snails become established and run amok. A copper-based product like Had-a Snail will kill them too, but will also kill any other inverts, like shrimp. Snails are lousy for algae removal, BN pleco's are the best for that problem. A single BN will clear just about any size tank of algae completely, and keep it clean. They are also safe for plants.

Thx guys.........I've been lookin into Tetraodon travancorius/dwarf puffers for snail control.

Any experience with them?

I hear they only eat very small snails cuz they don't get very big themselves.

Yep, don't let the size of the dwarf puffers fool you. :)

Those kids may be tiny, but they'll take on (and defeat) other tank inhabitants much larger than themselves. I think they only do well with otos.

Good luck!

azgardens.com says this about them....

This is the smallest puffer fish in the world! Really, really small, no kidding! Actually, full grown they are just about the size of a penny...maybe! Not to be confused with aggressive Figure 8 Puffers or Green Spotted Puffers you might see at the pet store or all of the know-it-all's on the internet forums claiming these are aggressive. These are peaceful, and very beneficial in the aquarium as they eat small (we mean small) snails, mosquito and dragonfly larvae, and other aquatic bugs like mantis shrimp and plant leeches and other micro organisms. Remember, these are a schooling fish. KEEP THEM IN GROUPS, BIG GROUPS! Perhaps the people that have had aggressive dwarf puffers kept them secluded without any buddies, or maybe they had only a pair, where they were only defending themselves or their eggs. Other instances of fin-nipping might occur due to improper water parameters, lack of territorial borders, or a lack of quantity!!

The Tetraodon travancorius/dwarf puffers info can be found here

This doesn't seem to be the most popular description of their personality though.

Back
Top Bottom