What kind of tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dkpate said:
I loved my BGK!!! He grew from 4 to 8 inches in about 6 months, and I had him eating out of my hand, and he would zip around all day, no matter how much light there was. :) His favorite place was actually using this plant I have as a "chair." He would lay in it upside down LOL, I will see if I can find the pic.
I am SOOOO glad to hear you have him in a 125G tank!!! That's awesome. I started out with the BGK and a 10 gallon tank....No fishless cycle either. :( I did ALOT of water changes for about 4 weeks.

Here's a link to my BGK photo album. :D
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/25829-albums1028.html

You have some great pics of your BGK :)

I wish mine will be like yours and start eating off my hand. My bgk is already starting to come out even when the lights are on :) What are you feeding your BGK?

i agree to monitor both tanks to be safe, but removing a filter that has only been in the tank for 2 weeks should not significantly reduce the bacteria in the original filter(provided the 2nd filter was put in the tank after it was completely cycled and stable) if you cycle a tank with 2 filters and remove one. you will remove about half the bacteria and possibly cause a problem

I do agree with this...the size of the 2nd filter and the length of time it is running on a tank will play into just how much bacteria will be taken away when you remove it.

I fed him bloodworms, brine shrimp, kelp flakes, shrimp pellets and peas. Try holding the bloodworms in your finger, and putting it in front of his face. He might not be comfortable enough for that yet, I don't know how long you have had him.
Any time I went near the tank, Elvis would swim to the feeding spot as fast as he could! He wanted to eat LOL. They do have little teeth though, (I think anyway) or a super tough jaw, so try not to get your fingers in their mouths.
They can open their jaws super big, kind of like snakes can, so even though their mouth looks small, your finger can probably go in there. They do eat by sucking though, not chewing and biting. ;)
When I first got him into the big tank, I kept it totally covered for 3 days to he could cruise around and get comfy in private. After that he just started coming out all the time. :)

dkpate said:
I fed him bloodworms, brine shrimp, kelp flakes, shrimp pellets and peas. Try holding the bloodworms in your finger, and putting it in front of his face. He might not be comfortable enough for that yet, I don't know how long you have had him.
Any time I went near the tank, Elvis would swim to the feeding spot as fast as he could! He wanted to eat LOL. They do have little teeth though, (I think anyway) or a super tough jaw, so try not to get your fingers in their mouths.
They can open their jaws super big, kind of like snakes can, so even though their mouth looks small, your finger can probably go in there. They do eat by sucking though, not chewing and biting. ;)
When I first got him into the big tank, I kept it totally covered for 3 days to he could cruise around and get comfy in private. After that he just started coming out all the time. :)

Were you feeding live bloodworms? I was told to feed him live blackworms but I took the other option(pellets) because of the smell. But if I need to feed my BGK, I will buy it.

No, I used frozen, and the occassional freeze dried, but the freeze dried seemed to bloat him, so I stopped with those. I never fed him anything live, because I didn't want him to get to where I would have to feed him feeders.

Where I lived when I had him was WAYYY out in the boonies, and when I needed food for him, I had to drive 100 miles, and there were no blackworms so I never tried them.

dkpate said:
No, I used frozen, and the occassional freeze dried, but the freeze dried seemed to bloat him, so I stopped with those. I never fed him anything live, because I didn't want him to get to where I would have to feed him feeders.

Where I lived when I had him was WAYYY out in the boonies, and when I needed food for him, I had to drive 100 miles, and there were no blackworms so I never tried them.

What's a freeze dried? What happened to your BGK?

Freeze-dried is dry bloodworms and brine shrimp, but it's full of air unless you soak it forever.

I tried making a nice crafty piece of PVC pipe using silicone, since he was too big for his houses. I didn't let it cure long enough, stuck it in the tank, and looked in on him the next day and his white stripes were bloody looking, and he was just laying there. :( I stuck him in the 20 gallon temporarily, and he got better, healed up, was eating again, etc., and cleaned out the 75G. I put him and his dwarf gourami buddy back in the 75 gallon, and the next morning after I got up, he was dead. I felt terrible, and I STILL feel terrible about it. I never thought I would become so attached to a fish, but I did to him.

dkpate said:
Freeze-dried is dry bloodworms and brine shrimp, but it's full of air unless you soak it forever.

I tried making a nice crafty piece of PVC pipe using silicone, since he was too big for his houses. I didn't let it cure long enough, stuck it in the tank, and looked in on him the next day and his white stripes were bloody looking, and he was just laying there. :( I stuck him in the 20 gallon temporarily, and he got better, healed up, was eating again, etc., and cleaned out the 75G. I put him and his dwarf gourami buddy back in the 75 gallon, and the next morning after I got up, he was dead. I felt terrible, and I STILL feel terrible about it. I never thought I would become so attached to a fish, but I did to him.

I am sorry you lost your BGK :(

Did the gourami die as well? Was it the silicone? You cleaned the tank before you put them back. I wonder how come your fish died.

The gourami pulled through until he developed dropsy a year after I got him. :( He was my little alert fish though, since he would turn dark if something was wrong in the tank. He and Elvis were best friends, and swam around all the time together. :)
I am not sure why Elvis died even after I cleaned the tank. He did had a deformed pectoral fin and a larger belly when I got him, so I don't know if there was also something else wrong with him, and it just got to be too much. He went through alot, like the beginning of the nitrogen cycle, since I got him, a 10 gallon tank and didn't know what I was doing.

dkpate said:
The gourami pulled through until he developed dropsy a year after I got him. :( He was my little alert fish though, since he would turn dark if something was wrong in the tank. He and Elvis were best friends, and swam around all the time together. :)
I am not sure why Elvis died even after I cleaned the tank. He did had a deformed pectoral fin and a larger belly when I got him, so I don't know if there was also something else wrong with him, and it just got to be too much. He went through alot, like the beginning of the nitrogen cycle, since I got him, a 10 gallon tank and didn't know what I was doing.

Maybe there was already something wrong with elvis when you got him. I hope mine was not damaged by the cycling process :( Do you think discus will be fine with gouramis?

I loved my BGK!!! He grew from 4 to 8 inches in about 6 months, and I had him eating out of my hand, and he would zip around all day, no matter how much light there was. :) His favorite place was actually using this plant I have as a "chair." He would lay in it upside down LOL, I will see if I can find the pic.
I am SOOOO glad to hear you have him in a 125G tank!!! That's awesome. I started out with the BGK and a 10 gallon tank....No fishless cycle either. :( I did ALOT of water changes for about 4 weeks.

Here's a link to my BGK photo album. :D
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - dkpate's Album: Elvis. R.I.P Buddy.

We have all been there lmao. It sure it's going to be fun where were going now.

Well, I had one gourami that was SUPER mean, Gimli, and one that was a sweetheart, Willow, so I am not sure about putting them with discus. Willow was fine with Elvis, but Gimli had to be kept with only the loaches, since they were too fast for him.
If I had discus, I would keep them in a species only tank.

Back
Top Bottom