What Koi (If it even is a koi) do I have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolxdaniel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
Beginner Aquarist here....I messed up and bought this fish and my friends were telling me that it will get to big for my tank. (Only 10g) I am planning on returning it but I am dying to know what kind I bought. I am definitely more patient now and do my research before buying fishes. I will definitely give this away to a better home. It is approximately 3 and a half inches from head to end of body and around 5 inches with the tail.

Attachments

• koi2 (1).jpg
    koi2 (1).jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 184
  • koi2 (3).jpg
    koi2 (3).jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 188
Judging by the whiskers it's definitely a koi, but I'll leave this to the goldfish pros.

+1
Yep, its a koi. They grow HUGE and need tons of water. They really are only suitable to large ponds. You will likely need to do big water changes daily (especially if the tank is not cycled) until you can find him a good home.

Yeah, welcome to AA! I didn't notice this morning it was your first post.

Welcome to AA! Unfortunately I can't give you much info on the type of Koi, but its going to grow BIG and produce loads of waste, really meant to be in a pond, might be okay while it's smallish, but you will struggle to keep the water quality good and it will end up eating some of your smaller fish.

I already made arrangements for my friend's dad who already has kois in his pond to take my koi. I feel so welcome haha thank you everyone :thanks:

Good to know, I battled for months to keep a large Shubunkin goldfish in a tank as my wife loved it - but in the end I had to give it up to the LFS show pond, which in the end made my wife happier as she gets to see it every time we are down stocking up, it's huge now and much happier as am I, the 30 gallon water changes on top of my other tanks where killing me!

Yup, I just want my koi to have a good home and be happy...and my friend lives like 5 mins away from me so I'll visit whenever I get the chance :)

Back
Top Bottom