What light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 20 long tank and want to go planted. I have an Aqueon T5 dual flourescent tube fixture on it right now. What would be best for plants: my current lighting, marineland double brights, marineland single brights, or other?
Thank you

Stick with the ones you've got, They'll work fine for plants. They don't have to be high output (HO)

A twin T5 SO should be great for a 20G tank! I have a twin T5HO on my 29G and it is just about too much light. When the tank is super grown up (like it is right now - need to do some trimming) then it isn't too much.

I wouldn't get ho on a 20 gallon, too much light without co2. You'll have huge algae problems.

maxwellag said:
For all plants? I had some in there but they started dying.
Medium light plants

maxwellag said:
What if I dose co2 then? Would that prevent algae?

That would prevent algae and keep everything balanced. But if you really wanted co2, do pressurized co2 because those little duh bottles aren't reliable.
But Aqua Chem knows a ton more about co2 than I do.

So would any of the options be better than the light I have now? (ML single or double bright LEDs, other T5s)

That would prevent algae and keep everything balanced. But if you really wanted co2, do pressurized co2 because those little duh bottles aren't reliable.
But Aqua Chem knows a ton more about co2 than I do.

LOL ok... I will have to start a thread about that sometime. :) But I'm not ready for that yet.

maxwellag said:
So would any of the options be better than the light I have now? (ML single or double bright LEDs, other T5s)

Since you already have the 2 bulb t5, I would keep it. You could have a nice medium light planted tank.

maxwellag said:
LOL ok... I will have to start a thread about that sometime. :) But I'm not ready for that yet.

Me too lol :)

Since you already have the 2 bulb t5, I would keep it. You could have a nice medium light planted tank.

Me too lol :)

Ok, I wasn't planning on heavily planting it anyways. :) thanks for all the help, everyone

maxwellag said:
Ok, I wasn't planning on heavily planting it anyways. :) thanks for all the help, everyone

You could still heavily plant it(or I think the correct way is plant it heavily lol), just with medium light plants. :)

Back
Top Bottom