Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2019, 10:16 AM   #1241
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayehoy View Post
I got into the hobby 2 yrs ago when i just decided i loved fish. Im 13 now and have two 20gals and a 36gal bow-front i got three days ago.
Very similar to me. I got into the hobby 9 months ago. I now have a 75 gallon display tank, plus a 10 gallon. I am about to stock the 75. I am also 13.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #1242

When I was 7 years old, I was so sick, mum carried me to the doctor’s clinic at night, then dad followed us.

At the clinic while we were waiting for our turn to meet the doctor, we saw a huge aquarium, it was full of different weird creatures to me. They were so funny , so pretty and so weird. Mum is always excited around animals, she likes them, so she kept telling me about fish and how they eat while she was knocking gently on the glass to get some attention from them.

Now I’m above 30 years old and I have bought my first aquarium few months ago.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:35 PM   #1243
Aquarium Advice Regular

I like weird things. Fish are weird. Rather itís the shape of a hatchet fish or the eel like shape of a weather loach I always was and still am drawn to the odd ball fish.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:42 AM   #1244

When I was about 10 years old I got a book about aquariums from the library. It had a picture of a guppy with a blue/yellow tail - I felt I had never seen anything so beautiful in my life.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:36 PM   #1245

I started my freshwater aquarium because my 12-year-old dog recently passed away and I can't think of getting another dog, it feels like I would be replacing her. So instead I have decided to get a 10-gallon freshwater tank and have some fish in it. I have 3 ghost shrimp, 3 dalmatian mollies, and 3 neon tetras. Since I'm new I'm still learning as I go but I'm very happy that I started a little aquarium.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:40 PM   #1246
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am starting a 10 gallon because it felt right. I have a history in the hobby, but its been a few years. I want a peaceful community at this point. So here I am and here we go!
Old 03-05-2021, 12:16 AM   #1247
Aquarium Advice Regular

The history with this thread is awesome!
Old 03-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #1248

well lets just say when i was kid 14 years old i had saved up a year to buy a 210 gallon tank. most first timers dont usually do thisbut i put that used 210 gallon tank in my 14ft by 15 ft bedroom. I wanted a whole bunch of cardinal tetras and i got them about 200 they were cheap back then abou 20 cents a peice. I had some live plants in it and it was a huge tank i loved it and from then on i was addicted to the hobby. I have like 30 tanks now and they arent small ones lol smallest is 75 gallons.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:41 PM   #1249
Aquarium Advice Newbie

When I was little my first pet was a betta fish and I loved him so much. Flash forward almost ten years later, my family and I have a dog, but I have no pet of my own, as I had recently given my guinea pigs to a friend due to trying circumstances. I really wanted a pet that was all my own, because that has always been something that meant a lot to me. I wanted a snake at first because my friend had one she would give me a discount on, but my mom wasn't comfortable with having a snake in the house, so I ended up asking for fish. I planned on getting a betta, but after a long month of research, decided on guppies, so now I have a five gallon freshwater tank in my room that I love to watch before I go to sleep at night or in between chapters while reading a book.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:36 AM   #1250
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria View Post
When I was little my first pet was a betta fish and I loved him so much. Flash forward almost ten years later, my family and I have a dog, but I have no pet of my own, as I had recently given my guinea pigs to a friend due to trying circumstances. I really wanted a pet that was all my own, because that has always been something that meant a lot to me. I wanted a snake at first because my friend had one she would give me a discount on, but my mom wasn't comfortable with having a snake in the house, so I ended up asking for fish. I planned on getting a betta, but after a long month of research, decided on guppies, so now I have a five gallon freshwater tank in my room that I love to watch before I go to sleep at night or in between chapters while reading a book.
I dig your story.. Enjoy your tank..
Old 04-24-2021, 11:25 AM   #1251
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My almost 3 year old daughter really loves fish. My husband and I have no idea why since neither of us were aquarium hobbyists previously. Whenever we'd go to the pet store to get our dog's food, though, since about six months old our daughter would become upset if she didn't get a stroll the aquatics section to look at the fish. One of her first words was "fish," and she'd use it to express her excitement about them.

When our daughter was 2 years old my husband surprised both of us with a 10 gallon tank. We bought a betta fish for it because that's what she wanted. She named him Bob. They have a weird relationship. His tank is in an area of our living room before our kitchen area and her play room, so she's constantly running between the three "rooms" (it's open concept so not really rooms I guess). He'll swim after her as she runs from room to room. I'll sometimes find her just standing at his tank talking to him. One of her joys being able to feed Bob every day. On days when they have a conversation, I always wake up to a giant bubble nest left by Bob. In addition to having Bob, I also enjoy plants, so I started planted the tank. I put in a large piece of fake coral and a rock hidey hole, so Bob can hide (though he very rarely does) and a bunch of betta beds, which he enjoys. I find snails fascinating, so I bought a nerite snail and mystery snail to assist with the algae buildup.

Everything was going great, then the mystery snail died. My water tested fine by the strips I have at home, so I brought a water into our pet store for testing. The aquatics person at the pet store confirmed the water was fine. They said that mystery snails don't do well in heated tanks. They also said that the snails shell looked like it had calcium deficiencies. I had been wondering about the calcium since the shell had been developing white little pits and its growth rings weren't smoothing over like they had previously. I replaced the snail with another nerite since our nerite's shell looks fine and the aquatics person didn't seem to think that water temperature affected them as much as the mystery snails.

I joined this forum because I wanted to ask about using a cuttlebone versus a magic shell for calcium, and I'm just waiting for someone who knows the answer to respond. In the meantime, I'm having fun reading the forum and learning new things about aquariums.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:00 PM   #1252
Aquarium Advice Activist

Why wouldn't i want a fish tank ?
Old 05-26-2021, 06:20 AM   #1253

Young start

I had a 1gal tank for as long as I can remember. Surprisingly I successfully kept at one goldfish alive in that for over two years.
Slowly I gained more interest in tanks and realized that mine was too small, so I switched to a 5gal tank for hermit crabs (dry setup with water dishes). When that ended poorly after about a year or so and further research just made everything about hermits seem like a bad idea. I stopped keeping tanks at all for a while.
My dad had a co worker back sometime in the 2000ís who was moving, so they sold me their 30gal and the whole setup for $75. Iíve been using that tank and 2.5,5,10 gallons for the last few years. The 2.5 was an attempt at a nano tank, of which ended up as a backup tank when my 5gal started to leak.

Currently I have my 30gal (29 breeder technically) setup with lots of live plants, a female betta splendin, and a small school of endler live bearers. I had some ghost shrimp in there but I had to move and they dont travel well.
About 9 years of having a 30 gal, and still so much to learn and apply!
Old 07-01-2021, 01:23 PM   #1254
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, when I was little my parents wouldn’t let me have any pets. They would say dogs and cats were too disorderly and inordinate. I used to have many kinds of pet when I was little, from goldfish to parakeets however I was so young I didn’t know how to take care of them, so my parents would do all the work.

Now here I am, with nine beautiful Glofish that I bought during quarantine fulfilling my dream of having my own pets Unfortunately I lost one of them as a beginners’ mistake and felt deeply hurt; but most of that pain came into me realizing that beginners in the aquarium hobby have made many mistakes too.

Now my free time is spent giving tips and advice to various individuals to help them raise healthy fish and find happiness in the hobby as well.
Old 07-05-2021, 12:42 AM   #1255
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, it was more of a crapshoot, shooting from the hip kind of deal

I wanted stock for my 1/2ac pond and thereís nothing available nearby. So I decided on a whim that Iíve just about had enough of the 4hr travels for no reason and picked up some gear while I was in the city.

Itís very likely that Iíll have to end up moving these small comets into the pond or theyíll die before the tank cycles, in which case Iíd bet that the much larger koi will have a feast. But, with any luck, itíll give me all the goodies in the tank to get it cycled, then one more trip for some more smalls and Iíll be set! Ideally Iíd like to breed my own stock to replenish the winter-kill and whatever critters feast on

Tags
freshwater, freshwater aquarium, inspired, tropical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com