What Made You Want A Freshwater Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've always loved fish and one day my mom was getting an aquarium for a beta she got from a work friend. It got me into taking care of fish of my own and now I have a ton of fish and take care of 3 separate aquariums

I was always interested in the Ocean. My 1st favorite movie as a kid was The Little Mermaid. After the first time seeing Free Willy I fell totally head over heels in love with Orca whales.
(I studied them every second that I got and even entered college in a marine biology major until I realized that there were only 3 Sea Worlds in the entire US and job opportunities were not really there.)
My mom had a 75 gal growing up but sadly I was too young to remember too much of that. Around 18 I asked for my own tank for Christmas. I was enchanted by the idea of having sharks in my own home. I got a 10 gal for Christmas and picked Bala sharks to go in it. (not knowing a thing about Balas, or any fish other than Orcas at this time. Yes, I know they are mammals but you know what I mean. haha.)

Shortly after I moved for college and read that Balas are recommeded 55 gal / Bala! That was fine with me as there is no tank too big for my taste haha but I was outraged that I have been keeping this guy in a 10 gal. I also found out that they are schooling fish, recommended to be kept in groups no smaller than 7 and I had only 1!!!
I ran right out and got a 55 gal. I was so proud of that tank but I could not keep fish alive to save my life. I did not know in those days about cycling and honestly as any 18 year old kid with a dream toy, I was far to anxious to wait and paid the price for it.

With this huge new tank and only about 8 fish to go in it I began to buy a few more colorful fish. I got my hands on some male fancy guppies and with not cycling the tank properly first a few died and I had to take them back in exchange for new ones. Little did I know that there were some females in this batch. I read that there should be a ration of 2 females to 1 male or 3 females to 1 male or they will get picked on. So I ran out and got more females to make my ratios correct.

I will never forget the first time I saw a baby. I was on the phone with my mom and started freaking out! I could not believe this half a centimeter baby was mine, from my fish! It was such a miracle. I ran right out and got a 1 gal tank for this precious little one.

I was so overtaken by this experiece that I have been breeding guppies since with the exception of a 2 or so year break due to a seriously hectic schedule. Now, I'm back and seeing how big my Balas get or how many babies I have and what colors and patters they have is still like Christmas every time. After 4 years of this, it never does get any less exciting.

I still do hope to touch an Orca one day knowing that I will never be able to swim with them and also have plans for breeding stingrays and a jelly tank in the future as well as an octopus for the boyfriend. But for now my Balas and guppies are all I need to be happy.

Wayback machine!

I have had freshwater tanks for 35 years now so we are going way back for that answer.

I knew I wanted a fish tank....saltwater. But back then they were way more difficult to own. There were no computers to buy things off, or to get advice, for one thing.

But mainly, I was young and my time was spent much less wisely. I knew from what I could find in the library (remember those?) that a salt tank would take up too much time and money.

But I have never regretted. I have always loved my tanks. At one time I had 12 set up in a somewhat small apartment. But I have also moved a lot. Freshwater tanks are much easier. I own my home now and am starting to set up saltwater.

But I will always have freshwater too. They are addictive.

Well, my parents started keeping fish back in 1969. And I was already fascinated ever since. Can't imagine not to have a fishtank in my life...

I always liked having some sort of pet from Dogs, to reptiles and Even Sugar Gliders (best pet ever). I always had small freshwater tanks though. Of course growing up I never knew about cycling and checking levels so I mainly stuck with Oscars which are basically the unkillable trucks of fish.

Well me and the GF finally got about 90% of our house in order and while I wait on getting a dog I wanted to get another tank. This time though doing it right and with plants.

It took some convincing but my buddy whom I podcast with started a tank a while ago and after telling her how nice it makes the room look she went for it and we waited for a petco 1$ per gallon sale.

Picked up a tetra kits 29 gallon tank including some cheapy tools, the heater, a filter and LED lid for 65$ (over half off). so our kits even upgrading the light and lid was about 200$, not really that bad.

Upgraded the light and bought a glass versatop for our plants and now just waiting on the tank to finish cycling so we can get some fichies in there we like. Its fun to sit and pick out plants and fish toe decorate the tank with and simply relaxing and listening to the water trickle is so nice on the nerves.

Picked up a nice little stand at Ikea and set it up under our 60" LCD wall hung. Some people were against this idea but now EVERYONE who stops by says they love how it came out.

I used to go crayfishing with my family all the time when I was a kid, I was always in love with aquatic creatures and eventually kept a baby golden crayfish I had caught, after that I continuosly searched for new types of fish to keep.

It also didnt hurt that my dad was a big aquarium fanatic and constantly kept aquariums.....

Touché! Just like my parents! And I'm glad they did!

Yea I probably wouldnt have any aquariums now if it wasnt for his keeping them. I wonder what it would be like to have never wanted to keep aquariums......no doubt my wallet would be much thicker right now haha.

Same problem overhere! Won't give up the hobby so I'm secretly hoping that my wallet will grow by itself...

And you know what? I'm still hoping!

Since I was a kid I always loved walking into pet stores and wanted a betta my hole life and ones I got one I just wand I'd more so I got a dwarf frog then a 5g and another betta some endlers a kuhli loach I just can't stop my mom says I'm obsessed none of the fish I have now are the ones that I started with most I traded or gave away then got a 10g and currently have

4 guppies
1 honey gourami
4 kuhlis one black
1 otto
2 bettas
1 dwarf frog

I am about to start up my 5g again with some white clouds and endlers or some more frogs

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Same here to I spent well over a thousand not much but for a 17 year old it's a lot I could of saved that and I'm still a beginner it will really add up over the years I plan on upgrading to a 30g in a couple months

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Hi I'm new. My story is:
My brother decided to get fish for his pond in his snake tank. Then my dad got a big 150gallon. My brother got 2more big fish tanks and I decided to get a 13gallon. I used to have a very cool swordtail,but now I have: 3cardinal tetras. 3long fin red minor tetras, 2pepper Cory's and 1normal Cory. I fact yesterday my dad got another 150gallon. My dad and brother both have cichlids.

[emoji12]Kgirl[emoji12]

Due to the popularity of a thread started like this in the saltwater general discussion I am starting the same thing here. Its always fun to read these kinds of things.

Please share your story with the rest of the world by just replying to this thread.

[emoji12]Kgirl[emoji12]

Probably I started when I bought my first 4 African cichlids out of an assorted tank when I was 13, btw not easy fish to start off with i will tell you that first hand,and I didn't have a job then so it was me saving lunch money (ate free lunch from school ha) well any whom I saved it up to a hundred dollars and went over to petsmart and bought a 20 gallon, and ever since then I've kept aquariums, purchased a 55 gallon then a 110 all by the time I was 16(can imagine my room ha) had all kinds of African cichlids and piranhas, gar, south americans, you name it, though i always have a sweet spot for my tiger Oscar my Africans are still my favorite well yeah that sums it up

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It all started with two goldfish that came home with us from a birthday party. One of the goldfish went to a family member's koi pond due to fears of becoming cramped in my tank. The other one will eventually follow when it gets bigger. Its going to eventually be a livebearer tank.
My dad had a tank when I was very young and I used to enjoy watching the fish quite a bit. We had talked about starting one and finally did. My little niece loves watching them with me.
I've enjoyed this new hobby and I'm learning a lot!

I love all things aquatic, creatures big and small. I had a tank in my teenage years and early 20's. I worked with freshwater fish for a short time in my younger years.
Unfortunately, my youngest son decided to feed the fish a whole container of food one day along with some crayons and a book. Needless to say, the gifts were not well received by the fish and the tank was wiped out. That was the end of my fish keeping days until just recently. My son is 17 now so I think we are good! It's wonderful to have a tank again, so relaxing to watch. I even have some guppy fry! I've never had babies before.

When I was about 6 my father had a fishtank. My older brother, 7 1/2, decided he liked milk so much that fish would probably like it too. That was the last time my dad ever had fish. Shame too, but it was his loss.

As a kid growing up my dad always had a fish tank. Unfortunately as we all grew up and moved out of the house he gave up on his tank. Fast forward 20 years, and my daughter asked for a fish tank for her birthday. I took this as a great opportunity for me and her to enjoy something together. After pricing things out at local chain stores, I jumped on craigslist and found a nice 29 gallon tank, stand and filter for a decent price. The joy we have together talking about the fish and possible new additions is just something I can not get enough off. It has become a very nice hobby that I really enjoy doing and hope that she will follow in my foot steps.

The tank has went through some major changes from plastic plants and fake looking rocks to a fully planted tank. I can not thank this community for their vast knowledge and for how much it has helped us.

Ph7.6 gh10 Kh7 TDS 315 well established 0 NH3/NH4 ammonia, 0 NO2 nitrite, 5 NO3 nitrate. I do weekly water changes of 25% with dechlorinator/Prime tap water parameters are the same as above except TDS is like 250ppm.

Back
Top Bottom