What makes fish agressive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VN

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I lost touch with you guys for awhile, but I'm glad to be back!
Anyway, my question is: What causes (normally calm) fish to become agressive all of a sudden?
I have a female guppy who used to be calm and sweet. But recently she started attacking my other fish, so I had to separate her from the others. She even killed my favorite male guppy (I cried for hours :( ) and before that when she had babies, she ate ALL of them! (Normally she eats a few, but not all.) What's up with that?!
My tank is not overcrowded at all, I have this one female guppy an algea eater, a clown loach and 4 baby guppies in a 10 gallon tank. The water chem is perfect and the temp is okay too, although a little higher than usual because I haven't turned the A/C on yet in my apparment.
So did my guppy just go insane???? I know guppies tend to eat their young, but attacking other fish? :evilbat:

Well, momma says its cuz they gots so many teeth and no toothbrush...(I had to say it, I watched waterboy last night)

The eating of the babies is normal, I do not know why she was attacking the other fish

Thanks for the input d9hp! :D

I know how that goes with having many teeth.... I used to work in the dental field for years.... 8)
By the way have you seen Finding Nemo? It must be adorable! :p
But really, Is she gonna calm down, or will I have to keep her separated for the rest of her life? :roll:

Back
Top Bottom