Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: What do you look for in a species?
Appearance 9 31.03%
Behavior 15 51.72%
Rarity/Novelty 1 3.45%
Other (explain) 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What makes you like a fish?

I was just curious what makes people choose the species of fish they choose. Some obvious options:

1. Appearance (Probably the most obvious on the face of it. And not necessarily beauty per se; it might be a striking but arguably ugly fish...)

2. Behavior (General activity level, personality, territoriality, breeding behaviors of course)

3. Rarity/Novelty (This might seem kind of shallow, but I have to ask myself: if I only saw neon & cardinal tetras once in a blue moon, or they had just been discovered last year, wouldn't I be a little more impressed by them?)

4. What else? I can imagine a hardcore purist who values biotope-appropriateness more than all the criteria above, for instance.

And of course, there are important things like compatibility, right size for your tank, etc. But say this is in the abstract, to put in a dream tank where whatever you choose would fit in.

For me, it was probably appearance when I started my tank, and I'm now more interested in behavior as time goes on.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

a challenge
Old 02-20-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
All of the above, including Brian's.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree all of those qualities. I also like going to the LFS and shopping for the fish to I'd have to say the biggest ones for me are appearance and personality. I also like the challenge of finding a certain species of fish like Brian said.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with all above!!!
CTR
blazeyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Puriti Send a message via MSN to Puriti Send a message via Yahoo to Puriti
If I'm looking for a specific kind of fish I look for appearance and behavior, especially if I'm familiar with the species and if I find a novelty one of that kind of fish then HECK YEAH i'm getting it LOL that's usually why I accumulate so many betta fish or mollies ^^;
Old 02-20-2007, 09:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I picked behavior as my number one. I will say that when I first started this hobby my answer would probably have been appearance. The more I "get to know" my fish, and the longer I am around fellow hobbyists though, the more I realize that the biggest fascination for me is how unique each fish's behavior is. Not just the different species, either, but each individual fish within that species. On top of each fishes personality, when you add in how they interact with others, it is truly amazing.

30 Gallon FW. 1 Albino Bushynose Plecostomus, 2 Harlequin Raspboras, and 1 Male German Blue Ram
justrelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
the fish has to have something unique about it, personality quirk, color, or shape.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Appearance as you can tell: My fave fish are Neon Tetras, Cardinals and Rams. Of course, these are more or less widely available and i don't worry about overcrowding my 29 gal with the neons and cardinals... I usually keep 1 ram only.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

LOL... I thought this was a thread asking what qualities I share with fish!

I am torn between appearance and behaviour, but I think behaviour wins so that's where my vote went. There is something to be said for novelty too..
Old 02-21-2007, 07:03 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Definitely all of the above, including BrianNY's challenge (though he is somewhat biased since he keeps about 1,000 Discus).
Old 02-21-2007, 09:16 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Appearance and behavior are my primary things along with, of course, physical ability to adapt to the community tank(s). I like fish that I find relaxing in their behavior, ergo "peaceful" fish. (My mollies being the obvious exception since the things are hyperactive little buggers..at least mine are.) After that, I look for fish that would stand out in the community they're being introduced to. I probably wouldn't even want to add cardinal tetras to a tank with neons, etc. I like color, shape, and size contrast within the tank.

Rarity/novelty doesn't really factor in for me at all and challenge, at my level of experience, is off-putting rather than an attraction. I look forward to the day when I'm confident enough about my basic skills to look for a challenge.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:13 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

all of the above plus brian's
Old 02-21-2007, 01:03 PM   #14

I also have to say all of the above, all of the qualities are needed for a nicely balanced enviroment.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well Jchillin............ 1,000 discus might be a bit of an exageration. LOL
Old 02-21-2007, 08:09 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I go with look first. I started with Platies and Mollies, because it gave me a wide range of colors. Then I realized I wanted something like Clown Loaches, but the size restricted me. So I went with Panda Cories to give me a fish that wasn't as bright that gave me a contrast in color.

Behaviour was secondary after that, although where a fish swims is its behavior I suppose. Bottom dwellers are partly why I chose Cories too.

theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:35 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mosaic
Behavior is a big one for the fish I currently keep. A lot of the fish on my dream list are there because I like big fish and I like how guests are so impressed with my 13" pleco, so I'd love to have pacu or arowana or some other massive fish. Yes, its shallow.

55g: (Mostly) African riverine species: Alestes Chaperi, breeding pair of Kribs, and rhino pleco
30g: Newly established reef tank
10g: Planted but fishless
5g: Unplanted with various snail species
2.5g: Heavily planted with betta.
Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

For me it's mainly a combo of Appearance and Behavior. When I see a fish I think it's 'nice looking' I do research on it before buying it. If it has what I'm looking for in terms of behavior that I'll either buy one (or more) at that time or I'll keep them in the back of my head for when I have an 'opening' for more fish.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:51 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

I like fish with a lot of color, though that's not as easy to get with freshwater. I like bright active, playful ones, not ones that hide so much though I do have a weakness for clown loaches and that's the color thing again. They just look so gosh darn cute.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

For me it is the behavior of the fish first, then the appearance. Nothing beats having fish notice you and starting swishing around.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com