What On Earth Is This???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You'll just have to wait and see till it gets older. But from the shell shape it is indeed a pond snail.

I guess pond snail too. Dont say you weren't warned when you suddenly have too many "cute little snails" overrunning your tank. Haha. Good luck

Yeah I have this exact snail (several of them) in my tank. The pale, translucent shell with pale almost golden spots. Baby pond snails. When they get bigger their shells will darken to that earthy colour you described. You will be overrun (as I am) but they aren't bothering me at the moment. Call me naive but I'm leaving them be until it really gets to be a problem and then I'll do some baiting and trapping. (Really tempted to get a dwarf puffer tank to feed the snails to!)

There's a thought. Have my grandparents get a puffer tank. I didn't think it looked like a pond snail, but whatever it is, I like it and wanna keep it. The way people started posting last night made me almost wanna leave this thread. Probably the extremely bad day didn't help.

If I get my grandparents to get a puffer tank, what would they need? The only puffers I've seen are at Walmart, and I'm not sure those are dwarf puffers. The sticker says green spotted puffers, but when I looked them up after finding them and wanting one, I couldn't find green spotted. I only got green eyed I believe. I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge. I don't wanna try to make them get that tank without knowing what they need.

He came to the front of the tank while I was out at class. I was finally able to get a close-up picture of him, and I thought I would share it. :)

Attachments

• snail 001.jpg
    snail 001.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 64
There's a thought. Have my grandparents get a puffer tank. I didn't think it looked like a pond snail, but whatever it is, I like it and wanna keep it. The way people started posting last night made me almost wanna leave this thread. Probably the extremely bad day didn't help.

If I get my grandparents to get a puffer tank, what would they need? The only puffers I've seen are at Walmart, and I'm not sure those are dwarf puffers. The sticker says green spotted puffers, but when I looked them up after finding them and wanting one, I couldn't find green spotted. I only got green eyed I believe. I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge. I don't wanna try to make them get that tank without knowing what they need.

The green spotted puffers at Walmart aren't dwarf puffers. They are a different species and they will need brackish to full saltwater when they are adults. They also need a lot more room than dwarf puffers.

I don't find my baby snail ugly. Whatever type it is, I like it and will keep it.

What do dwarf puffers need? If we can't find dwarves, would the green spotted puffers at Walmart do the same thing? What would they need that's different from dwarves?

I don't find my baby snail ugly. Whatever type it is, I like it and will keep it.

What do dwarf puffers need? If we can't find dwarves, would the green spotted puffers at Walmart do the same thing? What would they need that's different from dwarves?

I don't think it's ugly either... I kinda like it :) but it'll probably overpopulated your tank with baby snails... I'd get rid of it just in case, but it's your tank :)

Pond snails aren't bad at all IMO I also enjoy them and go out of my way to not hurt them. You are lucky yours is such an awesome color!

GSP are not beginner fish. They need HUGE tanks. You need to keep them in FW as young, BW as juvies, and SW as adults. Have your lfs order a dwarf ;)

Edit I am not calling you a beginner but I wouldn't suggest them unless you have been fish keeping for a long time.

Pond snails aren't bad at all IMO I also enjoy them and go out of my way to not hurt them. You are lucky yours is such an awesome color!

Thank you!! I'm not gonna hurt mine either. If there's a population issue in my tank, I can give the excess to a dwarf puffer. To me, that's much better than just killing them. I'll have to research the needs of a dwarf puffer.

They aren't bad, but personally I don't like them, they don't really do much either. When I first found one I thought it was pretty, but now that I have them all over in every tank I don't like them :lol:

They aren't bad, but personally I don't like them, they don't really do much either. When I first found one I thought it was pretty, but now that I have them all over in every tank I don't like them :lol:

Yeah lol they don't really do anything in my tank either. Good or bad. But there are TONS of them. lol

Dwarf puffers are typically kept in well-planted species tanks so you could do like 1 in a 5 gal (or preferably larger) or 2 in a ten gal. They need very clean water and also produce a lot of waste so they need good filtration and large PWCs too. They also like lots of areas to explore so a tank with lots of plants and decor (like driftwood) is highly recommended. Ultimately though I'd recommend getting DPs because you definitely want them, not because they eat snails.

I have pond snails in all of my tanks. They do a good job of eating things like algae and mulm and never really get out of control. As long as you don't overfeed a ton and regularly gravel vac they typically don't become much of a problem. If their population does become too much it's pretty easy to manually trap and remove them. To control their population you could also get a few assassin snails. The assassin snails could potentially go after larger snails but usually won't if there are pond snails available. My assassins have coexisted with zebra nerites without any major problem for a year or so now, but just be aware they could be potential targets in some cases.

Aw hun don't feel discouraged. You are excited about your pretty little guest and you are perfectly entitled to be! Don't let everyone telling you they are a pest get to you. Yes they breed like crazy, but if they aren't a problem then enjoy them! I am! And do look at the dwarf puffers. I saw an excellent video on YouTube of one eating snails. They are the cutest! I really want a dwarf puffer tank! :)

Lol. Thanks. He's apparently gotten comfortable in his new home. He's gone from Lord of the Lava Rock to the speed-crawl gold medalist. That's the fastest snail I've ever seen! I believe aliens put him in there. Lol. I can't figure out any way he could've gotten in without being killed. Aliens. Explains why he looks so alien-like.

The green spotted puffers are also known as leopard puffers. Just one puffer needs 30 gallon tank. Filtration would have to be atleast for a 60 gallon. They are not the easiest to care for. The water has to be fresh to begin with and slowly brought up to high end brackish over about a years time. They can go full salt water. These fish are hunters and are aggressive they have to be species only. They will take chunks out of any fish in the tank with them including another puffer.
They are carnivors so they eat blood worms brine shrimp kreal just about any meaty frozen fish food. They have to have the snails to keep their beak trimmed down. They have a beak that grows constantly crunching the snails helps keep it filed down.
The dwarf puffers I dont know much about. I had a green spotted for a long time. I dont recommend the green spotted unless you can dedicate alot of time to the tank. Bringing fresh water up to salt water slowly seems like it would be easy but it is time consuming and you have to be realy careful because if you make a mistake with a water change and get a little too much salt in, it causes a cycle and the puffers do not handle a cycle well at all.

My lfs has dwarf puffers. I'm not after a saltwater tank. It's my next pet project I think, get a little dwarf puffer. We will be moving in the next year I imagine and for the sake of keeping things easy I won't be doing anything until we move but its on my to-do list. (I already have the stress of thinking about how on earth to move the 250ltr tank, and the goldfish tank too!)

I have 5 of them right now in my bowl. there are already eggs layed everywhere and tiny babies all over the glass.

Back
Top Bottom