what on earth is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dominick

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well about a week ago i was looking around the tank making sure all was good and i noticed something all the way at the on one of the air lines in my 80 Gal tank so knowing i dident stick it there i wanted it out heres a pic

img_688835_0_268fbc334b8ecfd96e5624268a2d4471.jpg

um sorry this is so big i forgot to resize it

wow, thats a pretty big bug, maybe an egg hitched a ride on a new plant you might of added?

That appears to be a dragonfly/damselfly nymph.

They are predatory and will eat anything they can catch.

Best to remove it, especially if you have small fish.

i removed it as soon as i saw it and i found it almost t the bottom of the tank on the air lines scarry thing is my oto loves them air lines but hes still good :)

dont kill it, throw it in a pond where it can eat mosquito larvae, and when becoming a dragon fly, eat up to 50 mosquitos a week

Definitely not a good thing for an aquarium. As stated, they can be pretty nasty if you've got small fish. Double check your tank to make sure that was the only one.

your positive there is no pond where you live, a dragon fly had to of lay it.

put it in a bucket or qt tank, and put some frozen mosquito larva in for him (dont bother with freeze dried its more expensive, and they wont eat it)

also as he developes, be sure to put a stick that reaches out of the water so he can climb out when he gets wings.

and if your not willing to buy some bloodworms, leave the container he's in outside, in some shade, where a mosquito will leg her eggs in, (considering there are mosquitos in arizona, if you have no ponds)

kill leftover mosquito larvae when he flys out...

Definately a dragonfly larva. Really cool find. I would think it came in on some kind of plant that was cultured outside or in big manmade tubs. It can stay in that form for quite a while, 1-5 years depending on species.

This might help a little.

Back
Top Bottom