What other peaceful fish can I put in the tank with Tin Foil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hatrock

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well, I guess after reading up on my tin foil barbs I better avoid the serpae tetras. At mature size they would be ok, but at the size I'd buy them at the aquarium store, the barbs would have them for lunch.

I guess maybe I should go back to the blue gourami's. I've had them several times over the years and absolutely love them. I assume they would be ok with these fish, but would the barbs be too active for them?

What other fish could I put in the tank that would go well. I lost my 25 year old porthole catfish recently so I guess I could get another if I can find one, but what other lower tank dwellers could I add that won't be a meal for the tin foils??

The tank is 55 gallon, the smallest a tank for tin foils. I don't have any other fish in it right now and really only want something big enough that it won't be a meal for the tin foils. I was thinking Blue Gourami's but didn't know how well they would do with a speedy fish.

i wouldnt bother withh dwarf gouramis, as i never had luck with mine. i do like moonlight gouramis, but my kissers "kiss" larger fish (they have teeth inside their lips).

if they will eat serpaes, neons are out of the question. how about glass fish, bamboo shrimp, plecos upside down cats, check out your lfs or petsmart, you'll find fish your more partial to than myself

I hactually had pretty good luck with Blue Gourami's over the years but I know they like to be left alone. Neon's and redtails are out because they were an unexpected treat for the tin foils. Do plecos need to school? I know they get kinda big too and I don't want to crowd the tank.

i wouldnt get a common pleco, they get 18"+

a rubber lip, bristlenose, clown, twig, plecos would be good. no they do not need to school, infact commons are aggressive as they age to other plecos

Thanks, I will check them out. I definitely want to track down another porthole catfish which was the most fascinating catfish I've ever seen. I haven't seen them available recently but I wasn't in the market since my catfish lasted 25 years, 3 tanks, several ick treatments and four houses.

Back
Top Bottom