What rocks can I use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trioracles

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have some semi precious stones that I want to put in my goldfish tank. Are these ok or will they be harmful?

Girasol opals
Aquamarine
Apatite
Carnelian
Blue Sodalite
Blue Apatite

Why not diamonds? I'm not a mineral expert to tell you if all of those are inert but I'd bet you could find out with a library book easily enough. When I selected some rocks, I used vinegar to determine if they had any minerals that would dissolve in the presence of acid (since fish generate a bit) and any stone that bubbled wasn't used. We have loads of limestone around here. But I don't think I'd do that to anything semiprecious.

Stones in Freshwater

I have some semi precious stones that I want to put in my goldfish tank. Are these ok or will they be harmful?

Girasol opals
Aquamarine
Apatite
Carnelian
Blue Sodalite
Blue Apatite

Hello Tri...

You can use the vinegar test on the stones. Just put a few drops on the stone and if there's a reaction, then don't use it. If there's none, then rinse the piece well and put it into the tank.

Pretty simple.

B

If you put them in vinegar and they fizz then they cannot be used in an aquarium. HOWEVER, there are rocks that won't fizz and cannot be used in an aquarium too. Most Quartz are fine, but Amethyst for example (won't fizz) but CAN (not always) put iron in your water.

Not sure about your opal, but it is a form of quartz so it may be fine.

Apatite may raise your phosphates, you'll need to keep an eye on it.

I believe your aquamarine, carnelian, and sodalite will be fine.

Do keep in mind the rocks may not be the same after they've been in the aquarium for a while. I had a nice quartz in mine for almost a year and it got a little algae on it, after taking it out of the tank and scrubbing, some of the algae managed to make its way into the tiny cracks and has stained the quartz.

Also, some rocks that fizz (such as limestone) are often used in aquariums where the tap water has low ph as a way to raise ph.

If you put them in vinegar and they fizz then they cannot be used in an aquarium. HOWEVER, there are rocks that won't fizz and cannot be used in an aquarium too. Most Quartz are fine, but Amethyst for example (won't fizz) but CAN (not always) put iron in your water.

Not sure about your opal, but it is a form of quartz so it may be fine.

Apatite may raise your phosphates, you'll need to keep an eye on it.

I believe your aquamarine, carnelian, and sodalite will be fine.

Do keep in mind the rocks may not be the same after they've been in the aquarium for a while. I had a nice quartz in mine for almost a year and it got a little algae on it, after taking it out of the tank and scrubbing, some of the algae managed to make its way into the tiny cracks and has stained the quartz.

Omg that was super helpful Ty!!!

One other is to avoid rocks with sharp edges.

Oh yes!

Ages ago I bought the most beautiful green rock at a local fish breeder's shop. I have no clue what it is other than pretty (jade, maybe??) but it has edges and easily scratches acrylic :( It works fine in a glass tank and apparently isn't sharp enough to hurt the fish but now I only put river-worn rock anywhere near the wall in the acrylic tank.

Back
Top Bottom