What schooling fish is compatible with Bolivian Rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripedBandit

Aquarium Advice Regular
It's a 29g. I was thinking a school of Neons but I have been told that the rams may be too aggressive for them. If not those, I was thinking rummynose tetras. Any suggestions are welcome.

Cardinal tetras are lovely fish to keep. Get 8 if you can and will work well with your rams

In my 29 here is what I have: Bolivian rams, Cory catfish, a clown pleco, black kulhi loaches, ghost shrimp, black skirt tetras and harlequin Rasboras. Everyone is happy. A bit of chasing here and there, but it's to be expected. Good luck!

Any dither you want is fine with bolivian rams. They do allot of posturing but are not equipped to do any damage to anything. I had a school of neons and a school of harlequins with mine when I kept them

Most tetras except for really nippy ones like silver tips and serpae's work as do rasboras. What you really don't want are most barbs. Cherry barbs and a few other non nippy ones are fine but wouldn't do tiger barbs are other similar barbs. Cory's usually work fine as long as you don't get too many cory's and not have enough plants/cover in a smaller tank. Also none of my ram's GBR's or Bolivians have every bothered larger shrimp.

Most tetras except for really nippy ones like silver tips and serpae's work as do rasboras. What you really don't want are most barbs. Cherry barbs and a few other non nippy ones are fine but wouldn't do tiger barbs are other similar barbs. Cory's usually work fine as long as you don't get too many cory's and not have enough plants/cover in a smaller tank. Also none of my ram's GBR's or Bolivians have every bothered larger shrimp.

That's why I went with the black skirts. They have the tiger pattern/body shape but without the temperament. Although, I do miss having tiger barbs. They swam around the tank in a line and were very interested in everything.

I may go with Cardinals then. Although I'm still not sure. I'm not really in a rush to add anything so ill just think on it some more.

Cardinal, rummynose, and lemon are some of my favorite tetras in that sized tank.

X-ray Tetras!! They're cool!

These are pictures from my tank

Attachments

• image-1506089032.jpg
    image-1506089032.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 84
  • image-670817105.jpg
    image-670817105.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 78
I have a bolivian and a school of 8 neons with no problems. I was worried my ram would be a bully, but at nearly 3 inches, he is quite the gentleman (or lady, not really sure, lol).

I also have a full grown rainbow shark(I know, he should be in a larger tank). I'm not so worried about him bullying Neons...he usually stays in his driftwood and comes out to feed. And since the tetras will eat from the upper level of the tank I don't really foresee any problems in that aspect. But would there be a realistic chance of him eating them?

Rainbow shark

I have a rainbow shark with around 25 small tetras in my planted 55 show tank and he has never come near them or chased them at all so no worry there!:)

I also have a full grown rainbow shark(I know, he should be in a larger tank). I'm not so worried about him bullying Neons...he usually stays in his driftwood and comes out to feed. And since the tetras will eat from the upper level of the tank I don't really foresee any problems in that aspect. But would there be a realistic chance of him eating them?

I'd be concerned with keeping Bolivians and a rainbow shark together since they both share the same area in the tank

The shark occasionally tries to chase them off during feeding time but he usually gives up pretty quickly. He spends most of his time lurking in a large piece of driftwood so they have the rest of the tank to themselves for the most part. But I've only had them for a little over a month so I guess only time will tell.

The shark occasionally tries to chase them off during feeding time but he usually gives up pretty quickly. He spends most of his time lurking in a large piece of driftwood so they have the rest of the tank to themselves for the most part. But I've only had them for a little over a month so I guess only time will tell.

I wish you luck!

It's funny. During feeding time the rams will get straight to it, then the shark will come out and try to chase two of them away and they flea at first, but then the third one will just ignore him and continue to eat and the shark doesn't pay him any mind.

Back
Top Bottom