What sex is my Longfin Bristlenose Pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably gonna have to get her a male albino longfin bristlenose pleco as a buddy for her maybe get some fry :D

It depends on how old it is. I'm not sure if I am remembering right but I think males begin getting bristles at about the time they reach 3ish inches. Chances are if it's that big and your not seeing signs of bristles starting to grow in the next few months you most likely have a female. But just so you know every once in a while you'll run across a female that gets a single row of bristles right around the upper lip area, not a full bristle head like males get tho.

It depends on how old it is. I'm not sure if I am remembering right but I think males begin getting bristles at about the time they reach 3ish inches. Chances are if it's that big and your not seeing signs of bristles starting to grow in the next few months you most likely have a female. But just so you know every once in a while you'll run across a female that gets a single row of bristles right around the upper lip area, not a full bristle head like males get tho.
The pleco literally has zero bristles not even two ridges on her head like you see in most BN plecos

If you're not seeing any bristles at 3 inches long then you've definitely got a girl there. My boy started getting bristles at about 2 inches and they just keep on coming. Lol

If you're not seeing any bristles at 3 inches long then you've definitely got a girl there. My boy started getting bristles at about 2 inches and they just keep on coming. Lol

The body is about two inches but the tail is an inch long

Yes you should be seeing the bristles forming by now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 165
Thanks :D he's usually out and about now but he's fully grown at 6inch. He used to always be hiding until he got to about 4 inches. Once she gets a little older you'll see her all the time.

Back
Top Bottom