What should go into a planted sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm starting a planted tank, currently it's cycling. The only things in the sump are a heater, pump, and filter sock. It used to be for my saltwater tank, so I have a Refugium, and also a two little fishies reactor.. Should I sell it, or use it? And for the sump, what should I put in it? It's a 20 gallon sump, with a 30 gallon display

Is this a display sump or just used for nutrient export? If it's the latter I would just do one plant that is really easy and fast growing. Either Anachris or Water Sprite.

The water sprite is by far my fav fast grower. It can be grown either floating or planted, grows insanely large insanely fast, and is simple to plant cuttings from.

Is this a display sump or just used for nutrient export? If it's the latter I would just do one plant that is really easy and fast growing. Either Anachris or Water Sprite.

The water sprite is by far my fav fast grower. It can be grown either floating or planted, grows insanely large insanely fast, and is simple to plant cuttings from.

It's just for filtration. Will that be enough filtration? Plants and a filter sock? If so, I could sell the reactor.

If it's going to be your main source of filtration and assuming it's a typical sump; I would add some filter media to the first chamber. Some plastic dollar store scrubbies should work well and fast growing plants in the center chamber. Although without proper fertilization and carbon dosing you aren't going to get a whole lot of nutrient export unless the tank is lightly stocked.

Have you thought about just making the tank planted and skipping the planting of the sump?

If it's going to be your main source of filtration and assuming it's a typical sump; I would add some filter media to the first chamber. Some plastic dollar store scrubbies should work well and fast growing plants in the center chamber. Although without proper fertilization and carbon dosing you aren't going to get a whole lot of nutrient export unless the tank is lightly stocked.

Have you thought about just making the tank planted and skipping the planting of the sump?

I'm sorry, I must have misworded myself above. This will be a planted tank, I am just wondering if there is anything I should be putting in the sump. My issue is that my light is much too powerful for plants right now. I will add them once I buy the light. I'm just wanting some good filtration in my sump, it doesn't have to be live, just needs to get the job done.

Ahh I got it now. Plastic pot scrubbies would work perfectly as filter media in the sump. Or the ceramic media if you have the extra cash laying around.

Ahh I got it now. Plastic pot scrubbies would work perfectly as filter media in the sump. Or the ceramic media if you have the extra cash laying around.

What would the maintenance be for the scrubbers? I'm willing to clean them, but I'm not wanting constant maintenance.

If you are using a filter sock then the maintenance should be no different than any other type of filter pad. Without a filter sock they will get gunked up a little faster and need to be washed more often but really they are just cheap filter pads. Just make sure they don't have any chemicals added

If you are using a filter sock then the maintenance should be no different than any other type of filter pad. Without a filter sock they will get gunked up a little faster and need to be washed more often but really they are just cheap filter pads. Just make sure they don't have any chemicals added

Ah, okidokee. Well do you know how often they need to be cleaned? I've never used them, I used to just have media and filter floss.

Back
Top Bottom