What should I put in my 75 gallon planted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrnbo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know another one of these posts lol.

I want something interesting to go in there. Interesting could be a really active community or unique fish with personality idc lol.

Tank currently has a Fluval G3 filter, 250w Aqueon Pro heater, and may possibly inject co2 but not yet. I haven't tested hardness yet. All other parameters are good.

Setup #1 - Community Tank
Tiger Barbs, Kuhli Loaches, German Blue Rams
Was hoping this would be a really active community tank. Could maybe throw in Danios depending on how they get along with the barbs. I really wanted the barbs because I like the look and they were so active when I saw them.

Setup #2 - Predator Tank
Spotted Gar or Hujeta Gar, African Butterfly Fish, Bucktooth Tetra, JD Cichlid, Prehistoric Goby, Bichirs
Obviously it would be every single one just some that would be compatible. This would be cool during feeding time, but I have heard that some of these fish can be quite boring when not feeding. I really like gars and butterfly fish too.

Setup #3 - Puffer Tank
Whichever kind would be best suited. I am unsure if a Fahaka will fit. If not maybe some of the dwarf puffers? I have heard that puffers have great personalities but don't play well with others.

Did have a few questions. Can I have my cake and eat it too? LOL
Would the spotted gars or hujeta gars be compatible with tiger barbs or rams? The hujeta gars at the LFS were about 4" and he said they were slow growing so I'm thinking larger barbs might be okay?

What about either of the gars with the butterfly fish? I've read that they are both actually quite peaceful to non-prey fish. Only problem I could think of with this is that they are both surface dwelling.

And lastly, is there any puffer that would be compatible with any possible setup? I have heard success stories of puffers with large aggressive fish to keep them in check.

I am open to any other suggestions you may have :)

I will try and post a pic

EDIT: Really like the predator fish too lol

I don't have any exp with gars, and the only puffer I had was less than a half inch and picked apart a 3 year old 6" angel in two days....so I'm obviously not going to recommend them with anything haha. Any larger cichlid are going to tear plants apart. So for a planted tank you should stick with smaller fish. So I vote for tank 1.

Tank #1 was my original idea, really liked the barbs. But now that I've seen the predator fish I really really liked them too, I was hoping I could incorporate them somehow. My ideal would be barbs, gars, loaches, rams, and maybe one other kind of cichlid... I have no idea if that would ever work but it would be the best of both worlds.

Exodons are really cool too. So I am just at a loss. And haha yes I have heard those little puffers are viscous I might pass up on those.

Your ideal tank is impossible. Gars get very big and eat other fish. So anything small enough for them to eat will not survive. But that's alright because it just gives you the chance to get two tanks! Haha

Get angelfish tetra and Cory and plec. A South American biotope

Get angelfish tetra and Cory and plec. A South American biotope

I'm liking the idea of a biotope. I read this so I'm thinking about some kind of setup like this. Really seems like the best of both. Active schooling fish that eat other fish lol.The article says you can keep them with Nanus catfish, otos, red eyes, and fire tetras. So I'm thinking some combination of that in a heavily planted tank. Idk if a butterfly fish would get along in there but I think that would be a pretty cool addition. Too, what do you guys think about that?

Last edited:
Purple spotted gudgeons might work,they are on my someday list lol.

Your ideal tank is impossible. Gars get very big and eat other fish. So anything small enough for them to eat will not survive. But that's alright because it just gives you the chance to get two tanks! Haha

I figured it would be. They said gars get about 8-10". Maybe juvenile gars but I'm probably stretching.

I would buy a second tank if I wasn't already about $200 over budget :facepalm:
Trying to work with what I have.

Back
Top Bottom