What size tank do I need for my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a strainer that I can put the sand in. Is that ok to use over the sink, or do I still got to go outside. The 50 pound bag is way to heavy for me to carry outside. I'm going to have someone help me with it. I can barely pick up the 50 pound bag. I have a 40 gallon tank, so how many 50 gallon bags do I need to use?

A strainer will allow particles smaller than the holes in the strainer to go down your drain. If too much goes down, be prepared to call in a plumber because it will block up your drain. Ask me how I know. :whistle: If the bag is too heavy, bring your bucket to the bag and scoop only the amount of sand you can carry outside to rinse it off. Let some water run into the bucket and stir the sand while the water is running and the dust will over flow out. When the runoff water is mostly clear ( it will never get totally clear) , drain the water and dump the sand into the tank. When you are done and you fill up the tank with water, it will be a little hazy for a day or two while your filter filters out the leftover dust.

As for how much sand, the deeper the sand bed, the greater the chances of creating dead areas in the bed go up. While Aiken is correct for the amount for a typical tank, unless you are planning on keeping live plants, I would not make a bed that deep. As I said, I kept my 40 long with a 1" deep bed of sand. This was my corydora breeding tank and the fish did just fine in it. That was about one 50 lb bag. ( I used the sand for my cactus soil as well so I don't know the exact amount used. )

I live in an apt building, there is no hose to use to rinse

A strainer will allow particles smaller than the holes in the strainer to go down your drain. If too much goes down, be prepared to call in a plumber because it will block up your drain. Ask me how I know. :whistle: If the bag is too heavy, bring your bucket to the bag and scoop only the amount of sand you can carry outside to rinse it off. Let some water run into the bucket and stir the sand while the water is running and the dust will over flow out. When the runoff water is mostly clear ( it will never get totally clear) , drain the water and dump the sand into the tank. When you are done and you fill up the tank with water, it will be a little hazy for a day or two while your filter filters out the leftover dust.

As for how much sand, the deeper the sand bed, the greater the chances of creating dead areas in the bed go up. While Aiken is correct for the amount for a typical tank, unless you are planning on keeping live plants, I would not make a bed that deep. As I said, I kept my 40 long with a 1" deep bed of sand. This was my corydora breeding tank and the fish did just fine in it. That was about one 50 lb bag. ( I used the sand for my cactus soil as well so I don't know the exact amount used. )

I live in an apt building, there is no hose to use to rinse the sand. I only have one fish bucket. Do I have to rinse the sand, or does it come rinsed? Cause some sand comes already rinsed. The bag I bought says the following.
Specially graded washed, and dried screened play sand
Ideal for children's play sand boxes
So it's already washed.

I live in an apt building, there is no hose to use to rinse the sand. I only have one fish bucket. Do I have to rinse the sand, or does it come rinsed? Cause some sand comes already rinsed. The bag I bought says the following.
Specially graded washed, and dried screened play sand
Ideal for children's play sand boxes
So it's already washed.
Unless it is moist, it will have dust. If you can't wash it, all that dust will be in your fish tank to start with so your filters are going to get clogged by it. The choice is yours.

How many fish can I fit in a 40 gallon long?

I have 8 glo tetra fish
I also have 6 red eyed tetra's
I have 5 spotted Cory's
I also have one small spotted Cory
I have 3 panda corys
Is 40 gallon big enough? Can I buy anymore fish, like Cory's :thanks:(y)

Unless it is moist, it will have dust. If you can't wash it, all that dust will be in your fish tank to start with so your filters are going to get clogged by it. The choice is yours.

I have the lady at pet store to help me with the sand. I can wash it in the sink. I have a drain stoper to catch the sand, so it wont go down the drain. (y)

I have 8 glo tetra fish
I also have 6 red eyed tetra's
I have 5 spotted Cory's
I also have one small spotted Cory
I have 3 panda corys
Is 40 gallon big enough? Can I buy anymore fish, like Cory's :thanks:(y)

Even tho you are moving everything from the established 20 to the new 40, I suggest you let the new tank establish itself for a while before you start adding more fish. What you have now will suffice. When it comes to fish keeping, patience is your best friend and the lack of it is why most people fail at fish keeping. :whistle:

Thank you.

Even tho you are moving everything from the established 20 to the new 40, I suggest you let the new tank establish itself for a while before you start adding more fish. What you have now will suffice. When it comes to fish keeping, patience is your best friend and the lack of it is why most people fail at fish keeping. :whistle:

I will wait. I do not want anymore fish dying. My glo fish keep dying. I may not buy anymore. My cory's are fine though, and so are my red eyed tetras. (y)

I will wait. I do not want anymore fish dying. My glo fish keep dying. I may not buy anymore. My cory's are fine though, and so are my red eyed tetras. (y)

One of the issues with them is that they are fish from a lab more than from nature so their lifespan can be different from their natural counterparts. While they have been a success monetarily in the US, Glo fish has stopped selling the Glo Bettas, California has a ban on them in the state as has Canada and most of Europe and some of the species have been found in rivers in Brazil which could cause other countries to ban them as well. So they may not be a wise purchase. ( just my opinion of course. ;) :whistle: )

Why is my fish swimming weird?

Why is my fish swimming weird? Is it swim bladder, or is the fish dying?

Why is my fish swimming weird? Is it swim bladder, or is the fish dying?

The fish looks skinny so it may be dying. It also may have been attacked on the side which is why it's not able to straighten up. The other one in the video looked fine so there's nothing you can do but let this one try to fix itself.

Back
Top Bottom