what small fish would be good for a 10g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dozer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A friend gave me a 10g tank they were no longer using, and I just can't stand to see it empty. I already have a 29g tank with 3 tiger barbs, 3 rosy barbs, 3 serpae tetra and 2 panda barbs (that's what they were labelled on the lfs tank, but I've never been able to confirm the name). I also have another 10g with 4 neon tetras and 1 cherry barb (his buddy just died). I was looking at cichlids, angels and danios for the 3rd tank, but I'm not sure if that size would suit those species....any advice for what to stock a 10g with?

hmm danios like to school and can grow to 2" thus 5 in the tank would max you out following the 1 inch of fish per gallon of water. angels can get big as well do you have a qt yet if not this would make a great qt tank

If you don't have a QT tank, you do now! But, I understand the frustration at seing a good tank lay empty. That's how MTS starts. :wink:

Angels would outgrow the 10 gal in the blink of an eye. Zebra danios, though small, prefer lots of swimming room and plenty of their own kind. They would survive, but not thrive in a 10 gal.

You should check out Lake Tanganyika shell dwellers if you have your heart set on cichlids for that 10 gal. Not the most colorful cichlid, but fascinating to watch and easy to breed. They require pretty specific water parameters, and tank 'furniture' in the form of empty snail shells.

i agree with shellies, but then you also can house guppies, endlers, certain killifish, dwarf rainbowfish etc.

A warnign with shellies though ... in a 10 gallon you NEED to have 1 male and 1 female only ... the prefered species are neolamprologus ocellatus and neolamprologus multifasciatus. They both have their own temperment. Personally i keep ocellatus in a 15 gallon ... it was VERY well established but i keep 2f and 1m ocellatus and then 3 synodontis petricola and 1 albino BN .... mind you, my tank for this to work is extremely overfiltered and extremely established. It will NOT work like this from scratch. Also, as i mentioned, 15 gallons but more importantly is how my tank is setup.

A trio of apistos would make for a colorful tank. Build up a good set up in the middle with lots of tunnels and caves to explore.

Back
Top Bottom