What stocking scheme goes with this aquascape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
29 gallon Marineland kit with 200gph biowheel filter, a 175gph power head, no real plants (yet). Assume pH fairly neutral, water on the 3-6 degrees GH and KH range, temp whatever it needs to be. My first fish besides bettas.

Never mind what I think, what do you think? Tank sits low to the ground, quiet 4 year old around it a lot, small room that's similarly decorated (espresso stained wood shelves, furniture in cream and browns).

Tank has LED lights if it matters.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397105623.637545.jpg

How long has it been set up? Is it cycled?
Since it is not planted, and there's not a lot of plant cover, I would suggest going with some robust and non-timid species like livebearers. They also have lots of personality and character which makes them fun for kids to watch.

It's cycling. Ammonia went to zero yesterday, 3 days after I got a huge piece of seed material, I dosed it back up ... I had a stocking scheme I liked but I'm reconsidering. Visit to our huge LFS this weekend!!

I was worried about the lack of cover...

If you do get livebearers assume that the females will be pregnant. Even if you get them from a "female" only tank. They reach sexual maturity early so odds are you'll have fry to deal with. Nice tank btw

With the sand and river rocks plus the driftwood ornament for cover, I'd say cories, khuli loaches, or dwarf chain loaches would work well for the bottom. Keep either loach type in larger numbers (8+) so they feel more brave. For upper levels, you could go with a single angel and a school of something (lots of options such as cherry barbs, cardinal tetras, threadfin or dwarf neon rainbows, etc), or one or two schools of schoolers if you prefer schools to centerpiece fish.

Fish to avoid:
Anything that's shy or prefers cover, such as most gourami, a betta, timid varieties of tetras, etc, as well as any fish that has a high intolerance to nitrates (like Rams) since you don't have plants to help keep those low between WCs.

Back
Top Bottom