Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2017, 08:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

What tank mates for betta fish in a 64litre tank?

Hello. So I want a betta fish and i was wondering if I could keep other fish with him in a 64l tank. Is this possible? what's recommended for keeping with betta fish?

Old 05-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nothing is recommended for keeping with bettas.
They are called fighting fish for a reason, and as docile as they may seem, can literally snap months down the line and kill everything or themselves.

That being said, he's in a pretty big tank all on his own (somewhere around 16g for the US folks).

Common tank mates are snails (nerite or mystery), and are the least likely to bother each other.

Cherry/various shrimp are often tried, and either work, or become expensive betta chow.

Cory are quite often thrown in, and typically work as they don't invade the bettas space, and they don't have the bright colours or flashy fins to torment the betta. However, they should be kept in groups of at least six, and that may be pushing it unless your tank is long/wide/low.

Neons are often put in for some strange reason. This is not recommended as they prefer much cooler water than a betta. If you must go with bright blue and red fish, cardinals are a better option.

Basically, anything smaller (but not small enough to be eaten), fairly dull colouring and short fins... may work out.

Just remember that just cause your betta's the most chill dude on earth right now, doesn't mean he will be forever.

Personally I'd look into something like threadfin rainbow, or normans lampeye. I have no idea if they're condition-compatible so you'd need to look into it if that's the route you wanted to take.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I keep mine with ghost shrimp and nerite snails. I've also seen harlequin rasboras kept with bettas
Old 05-23-2017, 08:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Be cautious, the serial killers of fish tanks. Go years with good behavior (sometimes minutes lol) ......than snap, cold blooded killer.

Tags
ate, betta, betta fish, fish, mate, tan, tank, tank mates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com