What test kit do I get??????? (Please answer fast)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I ran out of testing supplies and I'm gonna buy more. I'm just not sure which one has all the parameter testing. I looked at the 30$ API Freshwater Master kit but I didn't see the ammonia test or things like that. I copied and pasted the description into here to show you:
Freshwater Master Test Kit
This kit tests tap water and aquarium water for five different parameters that affect the health of freshwater fish: pH, High Range pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. Highly accurate and economical. Unique, transparent dome allows clear view of contents. Includes all tests required to test the nitrogen cycle. Kit includes computer-calibrated and laminated color cards, 4 glass test tubes and holding tray. Also contains complete, step-by-step instruction booklet, including information on how to correct unsafe water conditions. Compact and easy to store. Over 800 tests.
Mini pH Test Kit
pH control is imperative to prevent the harmful effects of overly alkaline or acidic aquarium water on fish and plant life. This test is for freshwater and tests pH levels of 6.0 to 7.6. Contains 250 tests.
Mini Nitrite Test Kit
Toxic nitrite is produced by nitrifying bacteria in the biological filter as it breaks down ammonia. This kit tests for harmful nitrite and measures levels from 0 to 5.0 ppm. Contains 180 tests.
Hardness & KH Mini Test Kit
Tests tap water and freshwater aquariums for general hardness (GH) and carbonate hardness (KH). Helps detect stress on fish caused by rapid pH shifts, which result from low KH levels and helps aquarists duplicate the natural habitat of their fish. 100 tests per kit.

----Does it have all the tests that I need?

What animals a/o plants are you keeping? That will determine if anything above and beyond the master kit is required.

maxwellag said:
what about hardness and alkalinity??

I got a top fin kit for HK/GK because I wanted to find out how tuff my tap water buffers were. Used it the one time and I'd suggest you save the $20 for something you need unless it's an issue for you.

Don't know that you need to test for CA in FW, but I'd like to see who else might comment on it.

I currently have 5 guppies (3 are small), a peppered cory catfish, and a sunburst mickey mouse platy. I only have one plant. It's called frill (Myriophyllum Pinnatum) and I will probably get two more plants today. I'm thinking maybe either Anarchis, micro sword, or ruffled sword, depending on what my lfs has in stock when I go there later today.

Back
Top Bottom