What the heck is this thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fishy Aston said:
Yes some type of snail get rid of it!

What?!

Why do you have to get rid of it?

Seriously though, snails can be a benefit to planted tanks (cleaning algae from my Anubias for one) and they are also quite fun to watch.

The population can be controlled and they aren't really the "pests" people claim em to be.

I agree, get rid of it. Snails are always where I don't want them and never eat algae where it needs to be cleaned. Snails should be like fish, when u want one, research first before adding it to ur tank. You have to be willing to deal with the repercussions of adding it to ur tank. Just my thoughts.

Actually I have no live plants in that tank. I added driftwood a few weeks ago but that was soaking in boiling water so I am completely puzzled. I've only noticed one and it does look like an mts. I'll monitor for a bit and if there appears too many I will collect them and take them to my lfs since they are in supply of snails right now

Don't worry about them. They are a good clean up crew. Snails are very benificial to tanks. They help clean up excess food, rotting plant matter (in planted tanks) and algae. They can be a good indicator of water quaillity. If something's going wrong, like high ammonia, they will try and excape the tank. You will see them all lined up along the top of the tank. If the population gets out of control it can be a sign of over feeding. I have 'pest' snails in all my tanks!

Certain snails are a burder to keep because they eat plants, but malaysian trumpet snails are actually good. (The one you have) I have about 100+ of those in my 55g tank and I barely see them. They only come out at night.

Ya I can't wait to see more and increased in size. It's just weird they show up when I'm battling ich. I do my best to keep my water quality perfect and I'm looking forward to maintaining my 55 gallon. I can't wait to go rock and driftwood hunting :D

Back
Top Bottom