What to add with Angle fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cpowell71208

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 100 gallon freshwater tank with 8 very large Angel fish. The angel fish have had the tank to their selves for about 2 years now. Can I add other fish in with them and if so what kind?

That is a very very tricky ordeal which may or may not work. First I would suggest a larger fish such as congo tetra's or perhaps larger rainbowfish. Then when you have the new fish you will need to take the angels from the tank for an hour. Put them in some buckets or a large Tupperware tub in their tank water. While acclimating the new fish refill the tank. Then once the new ones are acclimated and in the tank the angels can be reintroduced. BUT this could upset the pecking order of the angels as it will be like putting them in a new tank where nobody has established dominance or territory. If you can't remove the angels, then you need to feed the angels their most favorite food at one end of the tank while adding the new additions to the other end of the tank. Then turn off the lights until the next day. Either way you will have to watch everyone for a week or so. It may or may not work. Just don't try adding any smaller fish with angels that are that old and never been around smaller fish.

Thank you for the advice. But it looks like I may not be adding anything. I came home this afternoon to discover that I have a pair of angels laying eggs.

I'm going to let the parents. Something didnt go right tho. All the eggs are turning white :/ The last time I pulled the parents and the eggs out and put them in a 10 gallon tank. None of the eggs hatched that time either. Which I didnt know at the time that my 2 year old could get to the 10 gallon tank until I found a crayon in it. So that could have been part of the reason they didnt hatch. That hasnt even been 2 weeks and they have already laid again.

Back
Top Bottom