What to Breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aandvfarm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I’m working on this tank wall rack thingy, and I’m going to have 4 20 longs across the top. I’m having trouble figuring out what to put in them. Prob go with apistos in one for sure. But I’m wondering what could I breed in these small tanks with 1 pair in each tank. And not guppy...have a ton elsewhere. Lol. I have some convicts elsewhere also so may thin down on them and put 1 pair in another 20L. Also leaning towards small cichlids, maybe GBR...idk. But I’ll have 2 20L left to put stuff in so any ideas? Also I’d rather not pull eggs out, so stuff that will hatch there own eggs where I can pull fry as they grow would be a plusIMG_0070.jpg

Rams are an admirable choice ,challenge....:cool:
IMO they are not real easy and I puill all eggs that I would like to raise.You may have luck pulling fry ,but wait to you see the defense of the parents kick in...They will either fight like the devil with the syphon tube , net or eat them the day before you wanted to pull them[how do they know?]..
I artificially hatch all of mine which I completely attribute to my 'success' with them.
If you want good healthy, strong stock I know where to find them in GBR or EBR variations....:whistle:
IMO only the most dedicated will have success raising them ,anyone can get them to breed as 99% of my customers report back on spawns usually in the first week or so.....But I have not heard from one telling me about how many they have sold or traded...

Probably a good idea to re-home the Convicts. No profit potential. It's difficult to give them away. I know from experience.

Breed some Boesemani Rainbows. They sell really well and are very popular in the hobby.

Breed some Boesemani Rainbows. They sell really well and are very popular in the hobby.
I'd buy some, that's a great idea.

And Coralbandits gbr &ebr are awesome, saw them on aquabid & his threads. Been lurking there, his other fish on there are great too. Want to order from him when I finish redoing my 75g.

Probably a good idea to re-home the Convicts. No profit potential. It's difficult to give them away. I know from experience.

Yea I didn’t think so. I just wanted to raise some once just to do it. And prob keep a couple in a community tank later. Well I say that now anyways, there my first cichlids...so I’ll prob find some I like much better but I enjoy there personalities right now. Maybe jewel cichlids? Haven’t looked into them enough but there good lookin fish

I’ve never seen any rainbows at all at my 2 “kinda local” fish stores. No apistos, convicts, rams, jewels, ....none of the stuff I find on YouTube. I did get some clown plecos, maybe they’re a pair when grown. Would the boesemanis not be to big for a 20L? Anything I do get I plan on getting online

I'd keep them in something larger if you need to grow them out. But a 20g long would be more than sufficient for breeding.

Praecox rainbows would be a hood choice as well.

Rams are an admirable choice ,challenge....:cool:

IMO they are not real easy and I puill all eggs that I would like to raise.You may have luck pulling fry ,but wait to you see the defense of the parents kick in...They will either fight like the devil with the syphon tube , net or eat them the day before you wanted to pull them[how do they know?]..

I artificially hatch all of mine which I completely attribute to my 'success' with them.

If you want good healthy, strong stock I know where to find them in GBR or EBR variations....:whistle:

IMO only the most dedicated will have success raising them ,anyone can get them to breed as 99% of my customers report back on spawns usually in the first week or so.....But I have not heard from one telling me about how many they have sold or traded...

Maybe I should wait on them..lol. I’m only a year or so in fish keeping so prob not ready. I have managed to raise a mating pair of angels but haven’t had room to pull eggs and try it. They have eatin every set so far. 10-20 sets :/ but when this walls done I’m determined to hatch and raise them

Back
Top Bottom