what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a tank that is 26 inches from top of water level to top of substrate.

I have a Compact Fluorescent light fixture, that holds 2, 40w 17in bulbs.

for plant growth would it be best to have:

A. a dual daylight bulb that is 6,700k/10,000k
B. a SmartPaq bulb that is 10,000k Daylight/460nm Actinic

or 1 of each?

what level light does this provide me with in your opinion, LOW? Medium? high?

If your primary goal is a planted tank, then from what I understand, you don't want the Actinic light. As copied from a part of a Wikipedia page
Actinic lights are also common in the reef aquarium industry. They are used to promote coral and invertebrate growth.[2][3] They are also used to accentuate the fluorescence of fluorescent fish.

No, you don't want an actinite bulb unless you're just that eager to spend extra money. It won't do anything. 6700 is closer to the recomended range for plants because that's the natural daylight kelvin rating. Add the 10,000 and you'll get a very white/blue light. If you like that look, put it in front and it'll affect how you see your tank. If you put it behind, you'll get more of the daylight/more yellow in your viewing.

Can you get 3 6.7 bulbs and one 10k? If you can't, it'll probably be fine, but the plants might prefer it if you can swing it.

Ah, ok. Interesting. I wonder if you can replace one bulb at a time once you get them home...I've never seen that. :)

Back
Top Bottom