What to do, what to do..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vinsanity

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Heya.

I have an empty 29 gallon tank, and I have no clue what to do with it. I really wanted to go salt water, but it would cost me around $300 for just a basic FOWLR that is of decent quality. I can barely afford that, and I don't really want to spend that much, but I find SW fish so much more fascinating. I really had my heart set on a sweet angler or lionfish.

But I can set up a really nice freshwater tank for a lot cheaper, and that would most likely be best for my money situation right now, but I am having a hard time finding an interesting speciman.

I really wanted something cool like a dwarf snakefish, but well you know the story with those. I have kept oscars, cichlids, and piranha for years, so those don't interest or appeal to me anymore either.

So I figured I'd ask for some advice on a potential fish. My local fish store has NOTHING, literally 2 small rows of tanks, half of them empty, the other half diseased.

I was researching small spiny eels, and was sort of interested, but not really. Looked at african butterflies, not interested.

I was looking at puffers, and they're pretty cool, but all I could find was dwarf puffers, and aren't the ones like the Target Puffer brackish?

Anyway, does anybody got any suggestions on some cool freshwater fish!?

Thanks.

[I'll buy the equipment for the fish when I figure out what I want, since I read the sticky at the top]

hmm.. well why not have a brackish tank tank?? It is one step back from salt water and a good training level for when you do have the money to invest. Then, we you are ready to convert to all saltwater, the tank would nearly be ready.

Or, if there is a certain rare/interesting fish that you like, you might try breeding them. That would be a nice challenge.

I'm sure other people will have more options for you, but those were the first that came to my mind.

Interesting idea. I noticed that Figure 8 puffers and Target puffers are both brackish, and they interest me. What exactly goes into a brackish tank? How is it different than saltwater?

Just an interesting note..I saw some dwarf puffers at the lfs today and they were so cute and tiny....I was told they will grow to be 1 inch max. But I was also told they are the meanest little buggers the fish store guy had ever seen. They were beating up on the semi agressive fish they were in with so they were moved to the african cichlid tank and the fish store guy said the little puffers had all the african cichlids cowering in a corner of the tank. And these puffers were teeny tiny! The cichlids were way bigger.

talloulou said:
the fish store guy said the little puffers had all the african cichlids cowering in a corner of the tank. And these puffers were teeny tiny! The cichlids were way bigger.

I think he was pulling your leg.....a 2" hap would make mince out of a dwarf puffer in pretty short order (and likely die for his effort from puffer toxin).

hey just curious, do ropefish count for all 28" or however long they get, for the inch per gallon rule?

South American puffers are freshwater and are awesome fish, especially if you don't want to go the brackish route

I have 2 in my 29gal right now, and I hope I can find one or two more to add later

ripvanrina said:
hey just curious, do ropefish count for all 28" or however long they get, for the inch per gallon rule?

Not really, and they are remarkably slow-growing anyways, so an 8" rope will not get to 24" for years.

I second the suggestion of getting South American puffers. They are very well behaved as puffers go and will be constantely swimming around the tank. The only down side is that if you don't have some snails for it to munch on you may have to trim its teeth occasionally. I have one in my 30 gallon tank with angelfish, cories, otos, tetras, etc. I haven't seen any nipping except for the first day the puffer was in the tank.

gheitman said:
I second the suggestion of getting South American puffers. They are very well behaved as puffers go and will be constantely swimming around the tank. The only down side is that if you don't have some snails for it to munch on you may have to trim its teeth occasionally. I have one in my 30 gallon tank with angelfish, cories, otos, tetras, etc. I haven't seen any nipping except for the first day the puffer was in the tank.

REALLY???
I wouldn't mind putting a few other fish in the tank besides my puffers... but I guess every puffers temperment is different

So the little puffers aren't actually mean? Can you keep them in community tanks? And they are really freshwater? ...hmmm My lfs really scared me off them cute little buggers. And this is a store that sells pacu to anyone with $1.99 LOL

south americans, dwarfs are freshwater
green spotted, figure 8's are brackish

Every puffers temperment is different (which is true of all fish)... I would be very hesitant to put them in a community tank, it would be a trial and error type of thing...
If I were to put any fish with my south americans (which ive read are really docile for puffers) I would only buy a few fish to test it out and keep a CLOSE CLOSE eye on them.. and if that seems to work out, maybe buy more

I agree with liquidphyre and the others about every puffer being different. I was hesitant at first to get a puffer because of what I read but after further research I decided it was worth taking a chance. I may have just been very lucky with mine (and no I don't want to sell it).

Back
Top Bottom