What to do with 3 pounds of flake food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Aquarium Advice Addict
My girlfriend's dad saw how many fish tanks we had and ordered us a pail of Aqueon flake food for Christmas. The ingredient list looks more comparable to Omega One rather than the Aqueon flakes I have seen in stores so I have decided to use it. I'm just wondering what I can do to keep it fresh for longer. Should I put it in the Garage for the winter to keep it fresh? Or am I just worrying for no reason? I have noticed that even normal sized fish flake food containers seem to lose their crispness after a certain amount of time.

I keep mine frozen, take out a weeks supply at a time, have heard it looses nutritional value over time..

Since you are in a deep freeze right how, I would keep it in the garage. Three pounds is a lot of flake. Without knowing your feeding routine, maybe incorporating a bit each day into whatever you use. I often crush flake and add to decapped brine shrimp. My nanos and fry love this combo. I have also fed excess flake to my live food cultures.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've put it out in the garage for now. I'm not even ready to open it. :lol:

When I buy bulk food I put them in zip lock freezer bags and put them in the freezer. They stay fresh and don't get soggy when I take them out for use.

Back
Top Bottom