What to do with an extra 5gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josh

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I have an extra 5 gallon just laying around that I used for a QT until I bought a 20g for that.

Need some ideas. Was thinking about de-rimming it, getting a clip on light, running a sponge filter, and putting some ghost shrimp in it. But I'd love some more ideas. Would also like to do planted in this one, but have never used any live plants and don't know what would work.

I would love any suggestions. Thanks a ton.

Josh,
I think making it a shrimp tank is an excellent idea. However, you might consider something a little more colorful than ghost shrimp. Neocaridina species of FW shrimp as almost as easy to care for, and much more interesting due to the coloration (in my opinion).

FW shrimp love live plants too! There are a lot of lighting solutions out there, but I personally like the archaea clip on PC fixtures. They look excellent, especially on a rimless tank. aqua forest aquarium and AquaTouch both sell them.

Hi Josh, have you thought about trying to breed some shrimp? A lot of them are easy to breed, like red cherry shrimp/yellow shrimp/blue pearl/snowball, etc. You can sell your extras on Aquabid and help fund your little breeding project. :D

*edit* Ninja'd by fort!

you could do triops,i kept them once a couple years ago,and they were really cool.but they will eat each other.and small fish,shrimp,etc.there kinda like crayfish that can swim.but smaller than crayfish,and if there the same size should leave each other alone.

ADF's work really well in a small planted tank. You could easily keep 5 in there. They'll sit in the plants and do their zen pose and be generally adorable :)

siva said:
ADF's work really well in a small planted tank. You could easily keep 5 in there. They'll sit in the plants and do their zen pose and be generally adorable :)

Umm... I disagree. Maybe 1 in a 5 gallon. 1 gallon per frog is nowhere NEAR enough space for them. 2.5 at least... But that's not even recommended!

I'm not really a frog person, so that's not going to be an issue. I like the shrimp idea. Anybody else have any suggestions?

We'll have to agree to disagree. 1 gal per frog is enough in species only tanks 5 gals and larger IMHO as someone who's been keeping ADF's for many years. I think one ADF in a 5 gallon is incredibly modest. Maybe you aren't familiar with just how small these frogs are or their habits/activity levels. I don't know where you are getting your info but in all my research on ADF's over the years I have never come across anything suggesting 1 frog should be the limit for a 5 gal tank.

I'm not really a frog person, so that's not going to be an issue. I like the shrimp idea. Anybody else have any suggestions?

You could always do a betta. Or some tiny fish like micro rasboras.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have considered a betta, but honestly I don't like seeing them in anything smaller than a 10g.

Josh said:
I have considered a betta, but honestly I don't like seeing them in anything smaller than a 10g.

+1

A five is the minimum, but ten gallons gives them much more room.

I think that's everything really that you could possibly do in there.

Betta, ADF, or Invert tank.. all good options! In my 5.5 gallon I've got my "King" Betta, Oscar. He's a big old sweetheart. Gotta love bettas.

Maybe a scarlet badis or two? Or is a 5 too small?

I just ordered three scarlet badis yesterday for my 14 gal. As of this moment I would not keep them in a 5 gal, but my opinion may change once I actually have them and get to know them better. I've read they are less than an inch at full size. Females are really hard to find.

Making it into a shrimp tank sounds like a great idea. They don't need much room and can be a lot of fun to watch. Crayfish would do good in there as well. Each one is a very interesting individual in it's own right and they have a lot of character.

Back
Top Bottom