What to do with Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

equinecpa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 30G Hex tank I set up about a month ago (all cycled). I have planted it and put in 3 Angels and our one betta since I nabbed his tank to make a SW Nano.

The betta has been chasing the angels since he was added (after the angels) and this week actually nipped a tail. I believe he needs to be moved.

My options:

1. Set up a separate tank
2. Keep him in 30g with breeder net or something.

I'd rather do number 2 as it means I don't have to keep yet another set-up. Would that be all right long term? If so, any product recommendations.

Thanks

Carolyn

I'm not too keen on the net idea just because I know I wouldn't want to be kept like that. You can get a 2 gal kit for around $20, possibly less. I wouldn't go lower than 2 gals, but that is just my opinion.

Ive used a breeder net before (for fry) and they tend to take away from the way the tank looks, im sayin it made my setup look crappy.. and it eventually got brown algea growing on it .. blah. but that was only for 2 months... then just threw it away.

How bout tryin a divider instead? maybe 20 gal for ur angels and 10 for the betta.. lot more room than a breeder net...

not sure about the size but here's one:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=19365;category_id=2329

I don't know if I'd keep Angels in anything smaller than 30 gallons..

I agree with Menagerie. I have my bettas in 5 gallon tanks. All you need is the tank, a 25 watt heater (I have the Visi-Therm Deluxe) a sponge filter (I have the Azoo sponge, rated for 10 gallons), a Tetratec 12 airpump, some airline, and a Penn Plax gang valve (to reduce the airflow thru the sponge, since bettas don't like strong current). I also use the gang valve so the airpump can run both sponges. Your betta may be used to some current coming from the bigger tank, but in the 5 gallon, a filter that's too big, or airflow that's too strong, will cause a lot of current in a smaller tank. That's why I would still recommend a gang valve even if the airpump only runs one sponge filter.

Just get a used setup online or something for the betta. They're really cheap second hand.
If not, just get a 5 gal with a small heater and a small filtration system. It'll all end up being fairly cheap new. That's what I did. I got a "cheaply built" 5 gal with two fiddler crabs and a betta and it's working out really great.

Back
Top Bottom